Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39915
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 05/25/2024 All Day - 05/25/2024 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 31
Lures Used : Many lures

Big fan of the afternoon bite at Salt Lick and was not disappointed.   Got on the water a little after noon and ended up with 31 for the day, some 3 pounders, 2 over 4, 10 were culled and lost more fish than I wish to admit.  (Seriously, I lost a bunch and its still bugging me.)  Caught fish on a variety of things including soft plastics, football jig, underspin, and drop shot, and fish were caught anywhere from 2ft to 18ft.   Most of the fish were caught on a TRIG and bigger fish caught on the jig.   I haven’t caught any of those monster crappie in my last 3 or 4 trips and not sure if anyone else still catches them.  They are a blast and always a nice surprise when you haul in a 2 pounder.

Water clarity is around 2 ½ feet and water level, which made it easy to launch the kayak, is the highest I have ever seen and took me a couple minutes to get my bearings straight as some landmarks that I use as waypoints are 3 feet under water.   I kind of like the water level and now able to cast into some areas that otherwise have been too shallow, slimy or weedy.  

Got to connect with Eric and always enjoy catching up with him.  He has been dumping large amounts of forage in Salt and Long, and Ryan reported in his reports a total of 60k shad were stocked within the month.   The bass at Salt have always looked (and fought) healthy and gonna be interesting to see them chunk up.

May 26 2024

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

The original crappie flooded in and I know that alot of people took some monster bags of them the first couple of years.  Crappie take a long time to grow to size (3 years) and some years they spawn really well and others not hardly at all (boom or bust).  Could be that they got harvested out and the young haven’t gotten to size yet or the originals just never got a good spawn off.  I know the two biggest crappie I ever caught were in that lake though (both returned). 

May 26 2024

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

The original crappie flooded in and I know that alot of people took some monster bags of them the first couple of years.  Crappie take a long time to grow to size (3 years) and some years they spawn really well and others not hardly at all (boom or bust).  Could be that they got harvested out and the young haven’t gotten to size yet or the originals just never got a good spawn off.  I know the two biggest crappie I ever caught were in that lake though (both returned). 

Thanks for the feedback Joshua, that's helpful. Both mine and my daughters PB are from Salt (same trip, and returned) and you know they are big when your grabbing the net.