Wacky Day at Pecan Gap

Apr 18 2024

Jason Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39446
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 04/17/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 36 bass, tons of bluegill, 1 massive crappie/ 6# and multiple #4-#5s
Lures Used : Wacky, tx creature craw, drop shot

My buddy and I spent the whole day at this pristine location. Arrived minutes before first light and prepped the pontoon boat. We were shocked by the amount and size of the bluegills! 

Wind was mild, picked up here and there but nothing too terrible until sunset. Water viz was clear- perhaps 5-6ft. Lots of great fishing spots, abundant vegation. 

The primary hump was the best location by far, and yielded the biggest fish. These fish are smart and the only way we caught them were all finesse baits, specifically wacky. We used swim jig, swim baits, lipless, top water, frog, and they didn’t want it. 

Best color for senkos: black, green pumpkin pepper, black and blue. 

Fish were all fat and healthy (though many of the fish we caught had parasites on their tongues). They were wonderful fighters, true florida strain for sure and was really fun with my light spinning reel. Lost about 3-5 good ones when they bulldogged into the grass. I can’t believe that we didn’t catch a bunch of culls- these fish are well fed and well managed! 

Had a privilege to meet the landowner, Craig, and I admire how much care and passion he has to make this location top notch. He took us by the dock and ‘called up’ the 8lber that lives under the dock. I swore it looked like a submarine, hah! Good luck catching her, Craig said he’s only caught her twice on a fly rod and nothing else. 

Grateful for all of those who I messaged to give me some tips, I don’t think I would have been as successful without them! Thank you John and Sam!

Apr 19 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Looks like you had a fine day at the Gap. Glad you enjoyed it.