Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39541
Property Name : Long Lake
Reservation Date : 04/17/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 LMB, Cull to 5.1lbs
Lures Used : T-Rig, Wacky Rig, Chatterbait, Spook, Whopper Plopper, Fluke, Jig

Fished Long Lake a few weeks ago, caught some quality fish and lost a nice one so it drew me back.  

Mostly cloudy skies, temp around 80 with 7-10 mph wind. I booked Long as given this lake is so clear, I figured the cloud cover would help.

Had some things to attend to in the morning, so didn’t hit the water until 9:45am and fished until 2:45pm. I’m one of those weirdos that think if you catch a fish on the first catch, it can single bad luck for the day (it’s happened multiple times).  Normally I just waste the first cast in a crappy spot, but today I threw it off the bank about 20 yards from the launch and had a 4.6lber blow up on the Spook.  Caught one more on the spook, but had at least 10 followers throughout.  They would chase hard, then I think because the lake is so clear, they wouldn’t commit. Once I saw that happen a few times, i would immediately grab either a fluke or a wacky rig and toss at them.  Caught 4 just doing that, always fun seeing them nail it.  Switched to a whopper plopper to mix it up and caught a 5.1lber in the far cove.

Fish were tied to structure along the banks, either off haybails, sunken trees.  In the afternoon, the fish were glued underneath the shade in overhanging trees.  Couldn’t get anything on deep structure, so i just stuck to the points/ledges/bank structure.

About 2pm I was fishing on the opposite side of the lake from the ramp under trees.  As soon as my bait hit the water, the line took off.  Once the fish jumped I knew it was a tank.  I had it on my spinning rod with 10lb test that i finesse fish, so kept having to let drag out.  worked it to the boat, then zipped drag.  Happened three different times, I got it close and reached for my net and pop, broke it off.  Got my rod a little too vertical and really would never have gone for the net but it was a PB for sure.  I’ll never know but it was a good 7.5-8lbs.  

Why I titled the the post, the fish were mad, is these fish are abolute beast fighters no matter the size.  I had four different fish that took drag on my baitcasters.  I use Shimano Curado 150’s, so they rarely, if ever get drag taken.  These fight every bit as hard as Salt Lick fish and don’t receive anywhere near the fishing pressure.  Like all his properties, Eric takes fantastic care of this lake and it fishes well bigger than 8 acres with all the points, drop offs, etc.  Plus, PWF member Mike Nicoloff and Eric sunk a boatload of Christmas trees (he left a pic in a recent post) so the baitfish should thrive especially this summer when they need to hide.  Hope everyone gives this lake a try soon as you won’t regret it.