Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38736
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 04/17/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 50ish bass 1lb to 4.8lb
Lures Used : They weren’t picky

Fishing:

Me and fellow PWF member Scott Wheeler fished Backside. It was a blast. We figure 25ish fish each. Fish were not picky but the bite happened in spurts. All phases of the spawn are in play. 

Water temp 70-74. The lake was surprisingly good shape 3’low. Vis about 14-16”. Fished it early March last year and seemed a foot higher or so. It probably caught some water recently. 
Fish hanging 1-6ft deep. Several against the shoreline. My 4lb 2oz came against the shore. The 3lbers came a little deeper. Me n Scott had several between 3-4 lb. He had big fish at 4.86 lb (fell free to correct that Scott). 

Backside  of the Moon is a special place, one of the most untouched by man places I have ever been. The trail is rough, hard (but not that hard) to find. STUDY SATELLITE PICS that are standard part of Apple and Android. Bing had a good pic as well. You need a little clearance. Camry ain't making it. My Santa Fe was at its limit and I have only front wheel, but am experienced to the challenge. The big challenge was the launch itself. Took 3 stabs launching due to lack of traction on the dewy grass. Be aware AAA can not come get you.  
we got to the lake at 5am pitch dark. Ashamed we had clouds as for I bet that sky is rocking. No lights at all. 

Apr 18 2024

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report John, glad you and Scott got on them out there.  Glad that the Santa Fe held up in the rematch too!

Apr 18 2024

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Still on my list of lakes to fish and wished I tried it before I swapped my old Wrangler for an Atlas.  I already asked my wife if I can use her 4Runner and the response was a stern no. 

Apr 18 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mike Nicoloff

Still on my list of lakes to fish and wished I tried it before I swapped my old Wrangler for an Atlas.  I already asked my wife if I can use her 4Runner and the response was a stern no. 

Dang. 4Runner perfect. Might get a scratch on it. So far 2 for 2 on that. An experience if you get to go. 

Apr 27 2024

Tri Vo

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Good stuff, John!

I would love to go back out to the Backside, but I would like to launch my 15’ boat & trailer. How’s the water level? The last time I was there it was really low. I hope this rain we have and will be getting will help it. Is it back up to the grass edge?

Apr 27 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Tri Vo

Good stuff, John!

I would love to go back out to the Backside, but I would like to launch my 15’ boat & trailer. How’s the water level? The last time I was there it was really low. I hope this rain we have and will be getting will help it. Is it back up to the grass edge?

The lake was about 2’low. May have gotten a little more water. If you have 4WD no problem. The exposed rock at the lauch getting shorter making it harder to make a run at that little hump (that was my problem). Took me 3 stabs unloading and loading. My muffler was gurgling on stab 3. Fun fun!