Apr 09 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39443
Property Name : Tear Drop Lakes
Reservation Date : 04/08/2024 PM - 04/08/2024 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 LMB from dink to 2.25lbs
Lures Used : Yamatanuki, Fluke, Wacky Rig, Swim Jig, Tx Rig Swimming Worm, Lipless, Chatterbait, Frog

My buddy and fellow member Mark and I decided at the very last minute to hit up Tear Drop the afternoon of the eclipse.  According to the Bass Forecast app, the day should be epic, but it turned out to be anything but.  The day was beautiful, the bluebonnets were plentiful, and we took a few minutes break to witness the glory of God in the solar eclipse. Conditions were mid to upper 70s, mostly cloudy to partly cloudy, light winds with long periods of dead calm especially around the time of the eclipse and for a few hours afterwards.  Water was very murky with about 12” of visibility.   There is a significant weedline surrounding the ponds, but we found it very difficult to fish in or through it as the snot grass algae is completely covering the vegetation.  All the fish activity we saw was within a couple feet of the bank, but they didn’t want the frog which was the only thing weedless enough to come through the scum without dragging slime with it.  We fished Upper Tear Drop from around 1pm to around 4pm with Mark catching the only fish deadsticking the Yamatanuki while he was looking at his phone.  I had a few nibbles on a wacky rig, but they were either bluegill or bass that didn’t commit.  We moved down to Middle Tear Drop and fished until the predicted storm started up around 7pm.  Mark caught 3 more including a couple on a swim jig in the narrow South end just outside the grass line.  His biggest was about 2.25lbs.  I finally got on the board with one 12” dink on the Yamatanuki in the same area.  We know the bass are in there, but they made it tough on us this time around.  Glad to be out fishing on such a nice day (but I think it’s time to cancel that Bass Forecast app...HaHa)!