Fun day at Heartbrand

Apr 05 2024

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39301
Property Name : Waelder Heartbrand Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/04/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14 LMB to 4.04 lbs, 9 big cats!
Lures Used : wacky worms

I fished most of the day, water temps 70 increasing to 75.  Air temp began with 48 degrees and climbed to about 88.  Lake is full, clarity was 8”, and the vegetation is gone.  

The very first thing I did just before sunup was toss a Pop-R out at the launch area at a swirl I saw.  It landed and I let it sit there for a few seconds, then a fish exploded on it.  Turned out to be a 4.75 lb catfish.  It was like this all day with the catfish, except that a topwater bite never materialized (other than that one fish).  What they both wanted, catfish and bass alike, was a watermelon Senko fished wacky.  I never knew what I was going to pull up when I set the hook.  The bass aren’t abundant but they are big and strong.  I’ve fished dozens of different PWF lakes over the years and these may be the strongest beasts I’ve encountered. The catfish too fought like they knew they were going to get fileted. I landed and handled only 14 bass, but only three of them were under 2.50 lbs. There was no one area of the lake that produced better – they were spread out.  The lake is incredibly fishable now with the absence of the aquatic vegetation. Even the very back area (east) is fishable and holds good bass. 

Shout out to Steve for having the vision!

Apr 22 2024

Bob Blundell

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hey Eric. Last time i was there the jon boat was turned over and I couldn’t for the life of me flip it over. Has that been addressed?

I’ve seen a few other comments about it as well. Thanks Bob 

Apr 23 2024

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Bob Blundell

Hey Eric. Last time i was there the jon boat was turned over and I couldn’t for the life of me flip it over. Has that been addressed?

I’ve seen a few other comments about it as well. Thanks Bob 

Hi Bob,

I used my own boat but had to move the property's boat over a few feet and boy is it heavy! I can only imagine how difficult it must be to flip it. Sorry you had that issue, and sorry I can't be of more help.

Eric