Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39152
Property Name : Shady Grove
Reservation Date : 03/28/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 38/up to about 3lbs
Lures Used : Swim jig and TX rig

It was one of those days at Shady Grove. It started somewhat cold, but the sun came out and stayed out. Intermittent wind throughout the day. Overall, it was a beautiful day to not be working. 

I landed 38 bass today. I didn't get anything big to speak of. In fact, I've noticed the average size has been less on my last few visits to this property. (I think this was my 6th time fishing it.)  The vegetation seems to change as well. A couple of years ago, the ponds were all covered in lily pads. Now there is not even a sign that any will be showing up or were ever there. There is still a lot of submerged vegetation, though, that does dictate how you fish.  Personally, I like it. I think it makes this property a unique challenge compared to others.

Some of the bass seemed quite healthy, while others were very skinny.  I caught them on a variety of lures, but the swim jig and TX rig worm were the biggest producers. I probably hooked into another 20+, but I could not get them landed before the vegetation gave them an opportunity to get off. That is just the cost of doing business at Shady Grove. 

Again, I enjoyed the day off, and it is always good when the bites come in bunches like today.