San Saba-What a blast!

Mar 26 2024

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

After all these years, I still think San Saba is my favorite place to fish. If its not #1 its a top 3 place for me for sure. I have so many fond memories fishing here the past 20 years. Ive had countless days of 30 lb sacks and likely a few 35 lb best five days.

Two of us fished for ½ day and we boated 44 bass from a dink to 5 lbs. While the 30 lb sack eluded us this time, we still had a blast and near ideal conditions. Temps in 50’s and light 10 mph wind. Most of the bigger fish came on top water baits from a Sammy, Yellow Magic or Whopper Plopper (ripping it and pausing it). The main lake point, directly across from the boat launch likely produced ½ our fish and we came back to it 3 times. We did not spend much time fishing water deeper than 8 feet, looking for those spawning females up shallow. 

The lake is about 4 to 5 feet low, but likely caught another foot of runnoff a few days ago. Grass is coming in, but 80% of the lake is fishable. The fully equiped boats are in great shape and the Fortrex trolling motors are workhorses. 

New Florida genetics were added to the lake last year.

Mar 27 2024

Michael Svoboda

Fry

Number of Posts :

Definately a special property.

Apr 01 2024

Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great report Steve!

I agree San Saba is one of, if not our best lake!

You got me to thinking of that “automatic” point across from the launch.  If I had one cast to catch a 5 pound or better bass on any lake on the club, That would be right at the top. Other considerations would go to.

1. The head of the big creek, (nearest the old pier) at Laneville.
  2. The point by the launch at Post Oak
  3. The point between the creeks at Rock Chimney.
  4. The pinch point nearest the house at Heartbrand.
  5. The point across from the launch at Bennett.