John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 39023
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 03/13/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5
Lures Used : Swim Bait, T Rigs and Topwater Frog

First trip of the year so of course I had some problems to work out.  I could not start the outboard.  Trolling motor had 24 volts but the outboard/depth finder did not have power.  It was on the onboard charger when I left the house so it may be time for a new starter battery.  It was good lesson for my son on how to work through issues.

We started on the east bank at the ramp and worked our way counter clockwise. My son caught the first bass of the day on the tree line near the northeast corner on a swim bait.  It was the only cull.  I hung a good one on a black top water frog in the Northeast corner but did not get a good hook set.  It hit right at the boat and I was caught off guard.  Stripped line out and I fought it all the way back to the boat then lost it.  We got a really good look though.  Huge mouth.  My guess is 5+ lbs but it had an absurbly big belly so it may have went higher.  We generally did not get hits on the bank.  All of the bass caught were 20 to 30 feet from the bank even the one I almost caught on the top water frog was half way between the tree/brush line and the bank.  

The wind ran us off fairly early.  We left about noon to eat at the Dairy Queen in Wills Point and then decided we were done for the day.

SPECIAL NOTE:  I had a good talk with the owner, Eric, on the way out.  He is just a good solid dude.  I really like him.  He asked that if anyone can pick up the duck decoy that is floating around the lake and throw it on the bank near the ramp.  He would appreciate it.

I didn’t take any pictures so here is a cute picture of the bunnies that were born in my back yard last week.

Thank you PWF.

John