Bountiful Day at Heartbrand 3-5-24

Mar 06 2024

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fellow member John Shepard and I arrived at this fine property in heavy fog at sunrise and got to work. We started fishing from the bank at the dam and were met with immediate success. Bass were hugging the bank while the catfish were in the open water, the latter particularily on the shallow flats. The action was fast and furious all morning untill the sun finally broke through around 11am when we took a brake for lunch. Between the us we had 50 bass and 5 catfish before 11:30am.

We fished out of the jon boat for most of the afternoon and found the same pattern only a bit slower under the bluebird skies! Finished the day by throwing for another hour from the bank before departing exhusted at 5pm. All in all we caught 78 bass (John had 44 and I trailed with 34) and 7 huge catfish. Between us we only had three dinks (the rest were tightly bunched between 3 – 5lbs) and we each lost another half a dozen fish on short strikes right at the waters edge.

The bass were predominantly chunky females showing signs of the gettng ready for the spawn, and they hit the baits hard and fought like hell. No subtle bite on this day!

Big baits of the day were chatterbaits (both green and white with matching creature or grub trailer), chrome with blue back rattletrap, and craw colored sq bills (which the catfish nailed). Water temps ranged from 77 – 79f with 1-2ft of clarity with a small amount of vegetation on the bottom.

During the moring we each had the pleasure of chatting with Mr. Jordan (the ranch owner) and thanked him for allowing us to fish this beautiful property!

To loosely quote John Wick “yeah I think Heartbrand is back”!

Mar 06 2024

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

What a great day, glad you and John got on them at HeartBrand!