Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38516
Property Name : Grain Bin Lake
Reservation Date : 03/02/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 up to 3.4lbs
Lures Used : Variety

Took a friend to fish for a few hours (10:30-2) at Grain Bin and had some success.  

1. Water temps were 58 warming to 60, the deeper water and clear water still has the temps cooler relative to other lakes I’m fishing at the moment so that threw me off a bit. It was windy/gusty out of the South. 
  2. Last year about this time, we ran chatter baits, swim jigs and spinner baits over the top of coontail adjacent to pond weed, but the various grasses/weeds are just now starting to pop up.  There was alot of algae which made those patterns a bit problematic.
  3. The water was clear and without the cover, the bass were a bit less aggressive than in the past.  Swimbaits without any bells and whistles in natural colors ended up netting the most bites as a result. 
  4. All fish were healthy in the 1-3.4lb range.  The relative weights were much higher than this time last year (I think they added some forage last year like tilapia, it definitely helped). 
  5. There are still a fair amount of grubs on the fish so I still recommend some redear if they haven’t already been added (they take a while to do their job in the long term, eating snails which produce those parasites).  
  6. All fish were caught in the same spots I’ve historically fished on the lake, mouth of the creek in the upper L, mouth of creek in lower L, flat on the lower L.  Couple on the points that extend from the south.  

Overall, looking forward to prespawn as we start into March and the fish start to push up

Mar 04 2024

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

They should be ready in a couple weeks. Definitely in pre-spawn mode

Mar 05 2024

Ford Rhodes

Fry

Number of Posts :

I was there right before you and was actually trying to get it the day you went, so I headed to Pecan Springs. I also fished two private lakes Monday. From what I can tell we've basically had a constant changing of barometric pressure going back and forth over us. The smaller fish generally still bite the classic baits, but not as agressively as they would on a day with a better BP. Big ones are hanging out, not really moving. It's been slow everywhere I have gone and I'm hopeful it about to even out a little and these fish are going to cut loose and feed really heavily. One thing I did notice on Monday was as soon as I gave up on my glides and picked up a Bullshad, I was getting drilled consistently, even more than the guy on the back of the boat who was throwing a chatter sit and a square bill. 

Mar 05 2024

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Ford Rhodes

I was there right before you and was actually trying to get it the day you went, so I headed to Pecan Springs. I also fished two private lakes Monday. From what I can tell we've basically had a constant changing of barometric pressure going back and forth over us. The smaller fish generally still bite the classic baits, but not as agressively as they would on a day with a better BP. Big ones are hanging out, not really moving. It's been slow everywhere I have gone and I'm hopeful it about to even out a little and these fish are going to cut loose and feed really heavily. One thing I did notice on Monday was as soon as I gave up on my glides and picked up a Bullshad, I was getting drilled consistently, even more than the guy on the back of the boat who was throwing a chatter sit and a square bill. 

We’ve had warm days but it is still early and the mid/bottom layers are still cool and the mud/sediment is still very cool.  The last hour of the day on a sunny/warm day has been the best for me the last couple of weeks on lakes with shad when they rise to the surface water.  Takes a while for water to warm up.  The shallow bite will be there soon enough. 

Mar 06 2024

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Josh,

Thanks for your assessment. We have 3000 Red Ear on order. Hope to have them in the lake in the next 3 weeks. Say goodbye to the snails.