John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38735
Property Name : Waelder Heartbrand Ranch
Reservation Date : 02/27/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 33 bass; 2.5# - 5.4#; no harvest-sized
Lures Used : chatterbait, squarebill, creature-bait

Okay, it was never really gone but has endured a fishkill & a long drought that had greatly increased the effort expended per bass caught.  Rainfall, a supplemental stocking a year ago, & the approaching spawn combined to create an outing featuring abundant & willing bass.  I arrived at the beautiful property under cloudy skies & gusting winds with tempered optimism.  My optimism turned out to be well-founded; 33 bass up to 5.4# & 4 catfish in 7+ hours. 

The Setting:  The lake is full.  Water temperature was 67 in the main lake & 68 in the shallow “fingers” area.  Visibility about 12 inches except less in the northern shallows. The only significant vegetation is flooded grass & brush on the lake margins. No signs of the spawn yet (visible beds, bloody tails,...). As a bonus, you get to enjoy cattle, horses, deer, wild turkeys, geese, & a pair of zebra as you fish.

The Action:  The early pattern was a red squarebill worked fairly rapidly around the pier area & at the end of the dam nearest the house (edge of the flat in front of the house). After 90 minutes, that bite died & was replaced by a chatterbait bite (green with red trailer) on the shallow flat between the boat launch & the creek.  The last pattern that worked for me for most of the day was tossing either a weightless creature bait or a small chatterbait to the base of the flooded heaviest brush (they seemed to prefer trees to grass) or wave-pounded shorelines.  The wind created abundant boat positioning challenges so the leeward sides of the fingers in the northern shallow end got a lot of attention.

The Results: I landed 33 bass & 4 blue catfish.  The action was never frenzied & there were slow periods to contend with.  Three things stood out for me: all of the bass were between 16” and 20.5”, no harvest-sized; the bass were all full-bodied; the bass were unusually strong fighters featuring long runs plus vigorous surface gyrations.

It was a great day of fishing (and catching) at a beautiful property.  Jordan & his family take justifiable pride in the property & the entire experience & he clearly wants us to enjoy our Heartbrand fishing outings.  THANK YOU for allowing us to experience your little piece of heaven. 

BTW: For excitement, try for one of the 8-10# blue catfish on a light spinning outfit.  Make sure your drag is smooth as you’ll need it!

Feb 29 2024

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report John, thanks so much for the detail!  This is a great example of how “new lake effect” can really change a lake for the better; not the same numbers as in the past but the average size and general quality of the fish is outstanding.

Mar 02 2024

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Great report John, thanks so much for the detail!  This is a great example of how “new lake effect” can really change a lake for the better; not the same numbers as in the past but the average size and general quality of the fish is outstanding.

John.  I was actually thinking about fishing there that Thursday, but the weather changed. 

That property is only about 90 minutes away. 

Bill Fetech

Mar 03 2024

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By William Fetech

John.  I was actually thinking about fishing there that Thursday, but the weather changed. 

That property is only about 90 minutes away. 

Bill Fetech

Yes, great report, John. I really enjoyed fishing there shortly after it opened. And I caught one of this 10# catfish on a chatterbait I the finger area! It turned our boat around before I got it in the boat.