Feb 25 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38684
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 02/24/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 7 - 12 inches to 4lbs
Lures Used : Tx Rig worm and craw, Spinnerbait, Crankbait, Lipless, A-rig, Underspin, Big Swimbait, Beetlespin, Chatterbait

Could there be a better weather day in February to get out and fish?  Temps from around 50 to mid-70’s, winds calm to maybe 10mph...just beautiful.  Someone just forgot to tell the fish I was coming.  Water was a beautiful green color with about 4’ visibility and started at 55 degrees up to about 60 at the end of the day.  I arrived a sun-up, got the new boat loaded with 5 people’s worth of gear and found fish on the sonar right at the first laydown next to the ramp.  I got a bite on a Tx rig worm right away but didn’t get a good hook set, so quick release at the boat.  My hopes were high, but then I started to struggle to get any action or find anything that would wake them up.  I caught 2 on a spinnerbait near shore.  BTW there’s a pretty good algae bloom going in the shallows around the edge and along the flooded trees along the onld pond dam, so couldn’t really fish shallow, but didn’t see many fish there anyway.  I caught 2 more small ones on a beetlespin while I was trying to catch some crappie, but it turns out the reason I couldn’t connect with the bites was getting was that I was actually casting to a school of tiny bluegill.  On this day I couldn’t even accidentally run into any crappie.  I finally connected with 1 solid fish on the A-rig and got to watch it on my scope which was really cool, but overall the fish wouldn’t come up off the bottom for anything, and the ones suspended seemed mostly indifferent too.  After 5 fish by 11am or so, I hit a huge afternoon lull and went without another fish till around 4:30 I finally caught 1 more small one on a squarebill crankbait and 1 more 3.5lber on a Tx rig craw.  For some reason Salt Lick seems to be a puzzle I can’t solve.  If any of you have any tips for unlocking it, I’d love the advice.