Comedy of Errors

Feb 07 2024

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38466
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 02/06/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9, Culls up to 4.2lbs.
Lures Used : Umbrella Rig, Jig, t-rig craw, square bill, spinnerbait, swimsuit

I booked 2/6 as the weather was perfect.  Cool morning, warming to 65 degrees and light wind.  Arrived just after sunrise at Salt Lick and immediately reliazed when loading up my kayak that I….forgot my trolling motor.  So it was a slow crawl around the lake all day with me paddling away.

Water temp was 48 degrees when i launched and got up to 52.  Winds were light, thank goodness as I didn’t have a motor or an anchor.

Ended up catching 9 total with 2 culls.  All of the fish were caught on the drop off/transition directly across from the ramp.  Most were caught were it would drop from 4/6 feet to 12/15 feet.  All were caught parallel to the weedline minus the one on the umbrella rig.  The other 8 were all on a 4.5 inch soft plastic swim bait on a wieghted underspin or keel weighted hook.  Missed easily 6-7 fish, which a few likely were dinks as it wasn’t the normal thrashing that Salt Lick bass give a lure.  Broke off my underspin on a submerged log and didn’t feel like swimming in 50 degree water to retrieve it.  Didn’t have another so just used a keel weighted one after that with minimal success.

Overall, made lemonade out of lemons and definetly will always check in the future to make sure I have the darn motor!  Got to chat with Eric which is always a pleasure.  Tight lines everyone as the fishing is about to get hot!

Feb 07 2024

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I have a check list, make it less liekly that I forget something. 

Feb 08 2024

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I never forgot my trolling motor, but I did forget the battery for it one time.  Fortunately the lake was bank fishable.  Glad you caught a few.