Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38364
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 01/25/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6, Culls to 3.5lbs
Lures Used : Everything in the Tackle box

Saw the forecast and had to get out on a gorgeous winter day.  Arrived at 7:45am, the lake can’t be more than 75 yards from the gate, so it’s easy access.  Launched my kayak to 47 degree air temp and 38 degree, yes you read that right 38 degree water temps.  The cold front of the past week plus the rain they got the past few days had the water cold and stained with 6 inches or less of visibility.

Worked clockwise around the lake from the ramp.  Hit the trees and any drop offs that seemed promising.  Threw everything imaginable jig, ned rig, weightless senko, drop shot, chatterbait, jerkbait, spinnerbait.  You name it, I likely threw it.  Didn’t get a bite/land first fish until 11am.  All 6 fish were caught on drop offs/transitions from 3-5 feet to 6-10 feet.  Every fish was caught on a jackhammer chatterbait, slow rolled off the bottom and over the points.  The warmer water (44 degrees) of those areas likely is why the bites occured there.  There were fish hanging off the trees/brush piles, but i couldn’t coax them for nothing.

Overall 2 culls, 4 over with best at 3.5lbs.  All super healthy fish.  Lake seemed close to full pool and it’s something I definetly want to revisist in the spring whent he pads grow again as this seems like a topwater/fluke haven.