Jason Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38293
Property Name : Jones Lake
Reservation Date : 01/13/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15/ 2-3lbs
Lures Used : tx rig, drop shot, hover rig

2nd time at Jones. Arrived right before 7am. 29F air temp, 43F water temp, water viz at 6ft, winds between 6-30+ throughout the day.

Found the majority on drop offs, slow dragging a weighted pitboss and man, they were hungry. Caught a few on a  hover rig by the trees. The wind was pretty extreme and so I transfered from the kayak to the shore and caught multiple.

Nearing the end of my time, I caught 3 in a row with the pitboss and that was incredibly rewarding. Those bites were incredibly aggressive, it was so fun!

I’ve included below the areas that I kept on going back to throughout the day that consistently produced fish. If you’re planning on fishing here, I’d spend a good chunk in those areas because I don’t think they’ll be moving around as much until it gets warmer. 

After fishing this place twice, I just don’t know if drop shots are worth rigging- though if I were to try again I’d probably rig the leader maybe 14-20 inches apart. Jig, shaky heads, ned rig I think get too heavy and get in all the vegetation (I tried them all), so a good craw (or worm) and dragging it on top of the vegetation will be most effective. 

Hover rig I think would have been extremely productive too, but I didn’t have it on the right set up and I wish I had used a shad color instead of green pumpkin. Even with the wrong set up, I threw it out and caught 2 pretty fast and they choked those. 

All the culls were right at 13-14”. Got some decent sizes- but my hunt for the hogs continue!

Jan 15 2024

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great write up, Jason.  Thanks for the info and preferred spots.

Steve 

Jan 15 2024

Jason Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Scanlon

Great write up, Jason.  Thanks for the info and preferred spots.

Steve 

Thanks for the feedback, Steve!

Jan 15 2024

Tri Vo

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Jason Lee

Thanks for the feedback, Steve!

Good stuff again, Jason. I was over that direction the other weekend, but I had a buddy who wanted to fish catfish & crappie. We went to Alysha but we zeroed on the catfish & crappie. The bass were biting on plastics. You should give it a shot since I think they are bigger at Alysha. But culling is great for Jones! I think I haven’t tried Jones lake because they don’t have a jon boat to use if I am right.

Trey

Jan 23 2024

Jason Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Tri Vo

Good stuff again, Jason. I was over that direction the other weekend, but I had a buddy who wanted to fish catfish & crappie. We went to Alysha but we zeroed on the catfish & crappie. The bass were biting on plastics. You should give it a shot since I think they are bigger at Alysha. But culling is great for Jones! I think I haven’t tried Jones lake because they don’t have a jon boat to use if I am right.

Trey

Hey Trey, I will need to get to Alysha one day. 

As for the jon boat, I did see one there, but it may not be available for PWF members. It wouldn’t hurt to reach out to PWF to check- I am not sure how often they update the descriptions/info. There are about 8 spots that you can fish from the bank that would cover about 30-40% of the property.