Jan 12 2024

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38287
Property Name : Blue Rock Lake
Reservation Date : 01/11/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15lmb, 3 culls/12 overs up to 4lbs
Lures Used : Jig, Drop Shot, Ned Rig, Umbrella Rig, Fluke, Blade Bait, Swiimbait

I knew today would be windy, but couldn’t resist getting in one last day of warm weather before it turns cold.  Fished Blue Rock in the morning and Salt Lick in the afternoon.

Got to talk to Eric on the way in, always love chatting with him and hearing what he’s up to with lakes.  Hit the water at 9am, 48 degreee temps, water was 47 degrees.  Wind was already around 15mph in the morning and only picked up with gusts over 25 in the afternoon.  Glad I brought the kayak as the spot lock was clutch.  Fished clockwise around the lake trying to hit any ledges and drop offs.  With the wind being so heavy, fishing soft plastics and jigs was a challenge to say the least.  Decided to use the umbrella Rig and it was solid.  Best spot was across the lake from the launch on the point that dropped to 24 feet.  Caught three in a row in the spot.  Worked around and would catch fish on the first cast in spots and no more.  Caught most on umbrellas rig and a couple on blade bait.  Overall 8 fish, 2 culls and 6 overs, best at 3.5lbs.

Hopped over to Salt Lick at 12:30 and had a little shelter from the wind given it’s sunken.  Best action was directly across the lake from the ramp near the cove.  Fish were holding right off the trees in 15 feet of water.  Love Salt Lick bass as they pack a punch. 1 cull, 6 overs with the best just over 4lbs.  

Hope the cold front doesn’t stay around long so I can get out soon.