Dec 14 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 38044
Property Name : Cassidy Farms
Reservation Date : 12/13/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 19 LMB, dinks to 3lbs and 5 slab crappie
Lures Used : DT6 Crankbait, Ned rig, drop shot, paddle tail swimbait, Carolina rig power worm, Yamatanuki

Fellow member Mark Daugherty and I fished from sunrise to around 4:30 on a cloudy cool day in Fairfield.  Temp got to the low 50’s with very light breeze but it felt colder all day long.  Water temp was low 50’s and stained w/ about 18” viz, and the lake is still about 4 feet low.  All the grass has died back and the bottom is just black muck.  Fish were holding in the deeper water 6-10’ mostly along the bottom except for the schools of crappie which would stack up more vertically.  Best lure of the day by far was a Rapala DT6 in green craw color (even for the crappie) and unfortunately for me, Mark was the only one who had one which is why he more than doubled me up for the day.  The bass were very picky and tight-lipped overall with a lot of grinding in between bites throughout the day.  I could see fish all over with my electronics, but giving them anything they would find interesting was a challenge.  We finished the day w/ 24 fish total (5 of which were big crappie), and all were all plump and healthy fighters.