Joe V. Smith

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37809
Property Name : Jones Lake
Reservation Date : 11/14/2023 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 18 2lbs to 6 inch
Lures Used : fluke,wacky ,yum dinger, pig & jig & tx rig

Lake full with vis to 5’’ . The vegetation receded three to 6 ft below the surface. Caught 18 bass of which 8 were under 14” and the largest 2 lbs.Caught 5 in shallow water before the sun got up on the water and had cloud cover  then fished deeper water. Caught them generally around brush and trees.Moving baits like crank baits with long cast should have worked howerer I did not bring any. Half my fish came from 5” wat/red wacky worms then various other 4” wacky worms, 5” wat/seed yum dinger with a spinner and one on a pig & jig.

I think that the water was too clear for the way I was fishing.

Nov 16 2023

Jason Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hey Joe! I’m heading out there next week. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I’ll put on a crank. Did you get a chance to see the baitfish/crawfish? What kind and what size were they? 

Any aditional tips would be super helpfull. I’m planning on taking my kayak, but it looks pretty fishable from the bank too. Thanks in advance!

Nov 16 2023

Joe V. Smith

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Jason Lee

Hey Joe! I’m heading out there next week. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I’ll put on a crank. Did you get a chance to see the baitfish/crawfish? What kind and what size were they? 

Any aditional tips would be super helpfull. I’m planning on taking my kayak, but it looks pretty fishable from the bank too. Thanks in advance!

There were 2”  to 2 1/2” minnow type fish in the grass along the shore line, with a black back and white belly. I am not stable enough to stand up in my kayak so I am unable to observe much of what may be going on around be. An excellant thing you can do is to stand up in your kayak often to observe what structure is around you.

The only access to bank fishing in along the dam where to feeder is located. The reeds cover most of the remainder of the perimeter.Also try a smaller under spin jighead with a small grub type bait. Remember the lake is super clear.