Chamber of Commerce Day at Bluebonnet Ridge

Oct 20 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished on 10/19, arrived sunrise for a morning fishing session to 54 degree temps and not a ounce of wind.  Beautiful sunrise that i capture with some fog burning off.  As I drove over the culvert right next to Mesquite Valley, I parked, threw 5 casts with a white buzzbait/white trailer and caught a nice 2.5lber.  Caught one more dink off the dock on a Yellow magic and headed to Bluebonnet.

I’d fished Bluebonnet before with very little luck, but gained a better understanding of the lake.  Water level is down a bunch to where multiple channels are completely dry.  Worked counter clockwise around the lake with a buzzbait, yellow magic and swim jig.  Caught a couple dinks, but not much.  Headed to the NW/W side right where the points come out.  Started throwing a KVD Caffeine shad in pearl, a 6th Sense whale w/keel weight, underspin and a weightless senko (Green Pumpkin/Watermelon) off the grassline/drop offs.  As i started navigating towards the back channel, it became pretty easy to find the fish, i.e. anywhere there were deeper pools, they were stacked up.  I made bomb casts so i wouldn’t scare them with the boat and had good success.  Senko was the most effective with one stretch of 5 fish on 5 casts.  Went back out to the main lake and had some good success along with south weedline where it drops off with whale; aggressive fish that would hit within the first few cranks.  The fish here are either dinks or really, sturdy/healthy 2-3lbers; nothing in between.  Ended up with 26 at Bluebonnet.  The grass was not as thick as last time so it’s starting to die down a little bit here inthe fall.  That being said, almost anything that’s not weedless is problematic as the vegetation is pretty much everywhere.  Great spring/Fall/Winter lake to fish as I am sure during the peak of summer, the lake is really choked with the vegetation.

Went back up to Mesquite for a quick 45 minutes.  Caught 3 more on the Whale and called it a day.  A few three lbers for the day, so nothing crazy size wise, but plenty of fish and a really beautiful day to enjoy a great PWF lake.