Oct 09 2023

Hal ODell

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37503
Property Name : Cody Ranch Peach Creek and Crabgrass Lakes
Reservation Date : 10/08/2023 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 27, up to about 3 1/2 lb
Lures Used : Chartreuse/gold willow leaf spinnerbait; white/silver willow leaf spinner bait

Fished 3:00 to 7:10. Sunny, high about 80, breezy. Despite the online reservation info, there is no boat at either Peach Creek or Crabgrass. So fishing was pretty limited to along the dams, and in rare selected spots where I could reach open water from the bank. Amount of vegetation is not excessive, though- just enough to make bank fishing a bit hard. The good news- the bite steadily increased as the day went on. Started on Crabgrass. Water stained, but not muddy. 8 fish, four were culled. All on chartreuse/gold spinnerbait. Tried a little with a texas rig worm, but was difficult to fish from the bank due to the weeds/moss. Switched to Peach Creek about 4:30. Water moderately clear. Changed to white/silver willow leaf spinnerbait, on a slow to moderate retrieve. Bite progressively improved right up to sunset, most fish caught right at the weed line, but with quite a few fish caught 5-10 feet out also. Caught the last three at sunset fast retrieving the spinnerbait on the surface. 17 fish, only four culled. Vast majority between 14” and 18”. Largest about 3 ½ lb, a couple of others about 2 lb. Not sure about identifying Florida strain bass in Peach Creek, but it was interesting that 3 or 4 of the bass I caught there were strikingly dark, almost blackish green (1 cull, the others 1½ to-2 lb). The rest looked like garden variety bass. Looking forward to getting in a boat on these lakes and fishing the timber/deeper water, but I ain’t complaining about the bank fishing…

Note the flex in my elbow in the pic- I would have gladly held it out to make it look bigger, but I couldn’t do that and get much fish in the picture. So the picture is pretty representative. Measured 19”