Pretty Stressed

Oct 02 2023

Tony Stewart

Fry

Number of Posts :

Total Fish- 28, Lures used- Buzz Bait, Wopper Plopper, Soft Plastic Swim Bait, Weightless Fluke

Fellow member Erik Johnson and I fished Harrison Ranch on 9-29.  We got the kayaks on the water a little before sunlight and fished pretty hard until 3:00.  With the water as low as it was, 3’ or so, lauching the kayaks proved to be a difficult and muddy task.  Erik picked up a couple fish on topwater early, but I couldn’t coerse any takers.  We both switched to soft plastic swim baits and pickup up a few.  Water was pretty clear with visibilty up to 3’.  Our best lure of the day was a dark weightless fluke.  The bottom was very soft so pulling a texas rig or belly weight across the bottom was bringing up a lot of mud and slime.  Most of the summer grass that was previously reported was all but gone.  Fish were crashing the banks chasing small bait fish all day, but we never seemed to figure out the right technique to get that pattern going.  We ended up catching 28 between the two of us, but not really any size.  6 of those fish came out of the small pond.  2 lbs was propably the largest of the day with most fish weighing around 1 to 1 ¼ lbs.  Several of the fish were very skinny and a few were covered in sores.  I think the combination of the long summer and the low water conditions has these fish pretty stressed out.  Hoping the cooler weather brings happier and healthier fish.