Samuel Mitchell

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 37035
Property Name : The Bluffs of Sandy Shores
Reservation Date : 09/29/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2#~6.25#
Lures Used : Magnum Salamander, frog, crankbaits

The three of us were on the ramp at about 7 am and started throwing top water.  Two in the boat and I had my kayak.  As soon as we got in the water and toward the island, the frog and the walking bait produced.  The water was low so the grass/algae stuff was all around and made any treble hook lure difficult.  The biggest at 6.25 came on a frog which was a highlight.  The trick for us was finding the schools of angry and hungry fish chasing the bait balls!  I tried to mark the area on the picture.  The X shows the general areas where the fish were absolutely stacked up.  Lots of 2-4 pound fish that fight like 10 pounders.  There were times when we found them we would each have 8 to 10 casts in a row landing a fish.  Shallow 4-8’ square bill crankbaits in the open water was the ticket.  Shad colored.  The frog was a natural brown/black color and they were smashing it around the edge in the morning and at dusk.  Thanks to PWF and land owner .  This is a special lake. 

Oct 02 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Sam,

Your report confirms the areas were I have caught them on rod and reel and where we have really good luck with the electrofishing boat. Great job!