Interesting Day at Harrison Ranch

Sep 02 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished Harrison Ranch for the 1st time on 8/31.  Arrived at 6:45am still a bit before sunrise, Calm water, 74 degrees, unloaded gear and the only boat I could find was the plastic two person boat.  It’s tiny so left about half my gear in the car and started out.  The water is down so much that there is about a 2-3 foot layer of muck before you get to the water and the water has about 8-10 feet of moss on it.  Needless to say, it’s probaliy the dirtiest I’ve been fishing in years.  First cast off the grass line from boat launch and had a nice bass blow up the Yellow Magic.  I’m a little superstitous on the first cast, so wasnt too disappointed the fish jumped off.

Trolling motor started acting up, so had to paddle for a bit.  Caught a few around the edge of the grass, Fish were holding really close and instantly would hit it.  Finally spotted the jon boat across the lake and figured it would be a better option.  Piddled with the trolling motor and finally got it working so motored over to the jon boat.  Another adventure in the muck, but switched out boats.  Side bar, immediately saw some nice welts on my legs with some nice itching.  Clearly found some fire ants as today my leg is nice and swollen with all sorts of fun spewing out.

Caught 9 on top water, 8 of them were essentially a clone of each other, around 2lbs; healthy fish.  Best fish was 3.91lbs caught in the cove to the right of where you launch the boat; this fish was long and a bit skinny.  The biggest fish spit up a fluke in the boat; no hook, but it clearly had been in it’s stomach for a bit.

Wind kicked up around 8:30am.  Weatherman said 4-6mph, reality was 10-12mph, so had to start anchoring to stay put.  Tried Weightless Senko, T-rig mag worm, shakey head, and chatterbait with not a taker for a good 1.5 hours. 

Finally decided if the fish was spitting up a fluke earlier, let’s give it a try.  Used a KVD perfect plastic Caffeine Shad in Pearl color and that was the ticket.  From there, when I found the fish, i’d catch a couple in the same spot and then move on.  Overall caught 9 on the big lake.  Left around 11:45am.

Couldn’t pass up throwing at the small lake on the way out.  Walked into the water about 10 yards as it was shallow and bombed casts as far as I could.  Caught 3 fish in 5 minutes.  Should’ve given myself more time to fish the small lake as clearly those fish don’t get much pressure.

Overall a good lake.  Will be much easier to get the boat in once the lake is at a higher water level.  Still a fun day with 21 total in a half day and another place I know is fun to fish!