Hot, but glad I stayed around

Jul 28 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Report is from 7/26; been too busy to write it!  On the water by 6:20am, 88 degrees, zero wind, glasslike conditions.  Tried the popper and buzzbait knowing it might be a tough go given the hot weather and that was correct.  One small tail slap on the popper was the extent of the topwater.

Wind kicked up at 7:15am and by 8:30am I was having to anchor in 12-15mph winds.  Threw everything in the box Deep diving crank, swim jig, shakey head, mag worm, ned rig, Carolina rig, etc. and couldn’t get anything working in deeper water.

I was resigned to a tough day when I put on the weightless senko on my spinning rod.  Caught a dink on the south end next to the tree and two more dinks in the old pond, so thought that was the extent of what I’d catch.  Worked the northside bank and close as I could to the weedline off the water trying to find pockets of shade.  That ended up working out as I caught 5 over the next few hours.  Three were 3lbs+ and two were 4lbs+ witht he largest at 4.27lbs.  Given I was using a light action spinning rod, ten lb test and Salt Lick bass are great fighters, it was a blast!

This property is one of my favorite as the bass all seem chunky and you can always count on catching a few nice ones.  Thanks to Eric and the PWF staff!

Ryan

Jul 29 2023

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Ryan –

I've been itching to get out, but keep feeling I'd melt out there.  Glad it paid off for you.

Curious about the larger fish – what depth of water were they holding in?  Grass line and in the shade makes me think 5-6 ft? 

Steve Scanlon 

Jul 29 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Scanlon

Ryan –

I've been itching to get out, but keep feeling I'd melt out there.  Glad it paid off for you.

Curious about the larger fish – what depth of water were they holding in?  Grass line and in the shade makes me think 5-6 ft? 

Steve Scanlon 

Hey Steve,

I don't blame you for being hesitant on going out in this heat.  Wednesday for the first 1-1.5 hours was fine, but after that it was flat out hot.  Zero cloud cover for days and this heat really have the fish in a funk.  I've fished salt lick a few times before and the top water bite is always great.  I wasn't surprised it was non existent Wednesday but also figured I would trick a few.

I'm not sure if you've fished any of the lakes at Willis Point before but they all have a similar set up with a grass/weed line 5-10 thick of me the shore.  What's unique though at Willis point is the steep drop off within that small amount of space.  At salt lick on the north side it can drop to 10+ feet that quickly and that's where I found them.  I was convinced I could find them on the brush piles/trees in 15-20 feet there but no dice. 

Where I found the shade pockets and the drop off, they were sitting there and would ambush it either in the initial fall or on the first twitch.  The hits were aggressive as the like would just take off. I had my drag set super light given the light line so it was a blast.

hope this helps!