The Frog Bite was on Fire! My Hookup % was not...

May 31 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36388
Property Name : Cassidy Farms
Reservation Date : 05/30/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 31 Bass up to 3.25lbs
Lures Used : Frogs, Choppo, Paddletail on Flashy Swimmer, Tx rig swimming worm, and Tx rig weightless SK Ocho

A guest and I fished Cassidy Farms from around 6:15am to 5:45pm on Tuesday.  We had an absolute blast of a day!  Temps started in low 70’s and got up to mid 80’s.  Wind was mostly calm to light and variable breezes up until T-storms started firing up near us late in the afternoon.  Water temp started at 79 and got up to 83 degrees under mostly sunny skies.  I started my guest with a black Berkley Choppo as we fished from the dock before launching the boat.  He quickly caught 2 and was super excited as they were his first 2 on topwater ever.  I tried a brand new buzzbait and got smoked on my 1st or 2nd cast and the dang thing snapped right at the head on the hookset (no wonder it was on sale).  I picked up a frog but got nothing around the dock.  We launched the very nice club jon boat and headed toward the North end of the pond.  I was still at zero while my guest continued to boat 3 more on the Choppo...he was hooked.  We got to the very shallow North end and that’s where things got exciting.  The frog bite turned on, and I kept getting blow up after blow up, but for some reason I was missing more than landing.  This would continue through the rest of the morning until our lunch break.  Even though I think my patience and technique were the best they have ever been, just wasn’t connecting like I have in the past.  I want to blame it on the new frog I was using, the rod, or the thick grass, but who knows.  Caught a good number, but missed a whole lot more.  When that died down we moved back toward the South and started throwing swimbaits.  Both of us picked up a few.  When we got to the South end, it looked awful froggy too, so what the heck.  Yep, they still wanted the frog big time!  And I kept missing more than landing, but it sure was exciting.  We took a lunch break after that, and then the bite slowed way down.  We picked up a couple on a swimming worm, but anything on the bottom came back up with thick, black, sticky moss, so we switched back to swimbaits.  Then I had the brilliant idea of trying the good ole weightless stick bait.  We caught the rest of the day’s fish on green pumpkin or green pumpkin magic Strike King Ochos thrown up to the weed edge along the east bank.  Baits tried but unsuccessful included: shallow crankbait, Tx rigged creature, Sexy Dawg, Z-Man Hellraizer.  This is the frog fishing day that all future days will get compared to.  How FUN!!!

Almost forgot to report on the fish themselves:  Smallest was just under 1lb and largest was 3.25lbs.  The rest were all in the 2-2.75lb range but very skinny (definitely haven’t put on their post-spawn weight).  Many of them would have easily been over 3 and maybe up to 4lbs with normal weight.