Larger fish wanted tiny, ultra lite was the star of the day (not intentionally)

May 17 2023

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36279
Property Name : China Lake
Reservation Date : 05/16/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : Bass 6 about 4lb, several 2-3 lb, few dinks/ several hand size sunfish/ 2 small yellow cat
Lures Used : Plastic, spinner bait, a tiny 1/16th underspin with a cute little swimbait on it

Not sure where to begin here. Here it comes 

China Lake- May become one of my favorite club lakes, outstanding layout, outstanding healthy fish, has everything a bass loves and a bass fisherman loves without excessive grass. 
Water- 70-76, then down to 71 late afternoon, 16” vis

it was a cool day with the north winds 68 n cloudy all afternoon,  felt like a good air conditioner almost chilly at times.

Fishing- as I was loading boat I had a frog and decided to toss it. Got a 2 ½ first cast. Got boat loaded n launched. 4-5 dinks on the frog. 8:45 I got a 4 lb off a hump I found. About 9am I came ashore and had a phone call to make. Before I went back out I tossed the ultra lite out and first cast got a beautiful hand size red ear, 2nd cast was a drag zinging jumping 4lb bass (wow, what fun), landing successful. Next cast was a 3lb. Made more casts and caught a couple more sunfish. Headed back out. Nothing of any size up until lunch. Ate sandwich. Picked up ultra lite, another 4 lb. Same spot. I had before lunch anchored to chunk some standard bass baits in the area out from the launch I got the fish earlier, nothing. I think me coming ashore disrupted the fry hiding and got the sunfish's attention and a couple bass came to see what interests the sunfish and also snack on fry. 
By late afternoon I hadn't had anything over 2 ½. I did catch 2 yellow cat (1lb each) on 2 different spinner baits. I took the ultra lite out with me in the boat after lunch and it was worth it. I set a new record with it for me, got a 4lb 5 oz (previous to yesterday was 4lb at Moss Lake 12-13 years ago).

I got one more right at 4 on a worm late afternoon

seems like tiny was the order of the day, didn't get much action on my standard repertoire. 80% of the fish came in that tiny lure. 

Cody Ranch is an amazing property, Thanks to Cody Ranch and PWF for the opportunities the ranch has to offer. China Lake is a work of love and art. Setting is perfect. The ramp could have more angle to it, but it is a good ramp, lots of rock. The fish quality will only get better. All fish were healthy and fiesty fighters. China Lake will be a good summer lake this year I believe. 

May 17 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work John and very nice adaptation.  

May 17 2023

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice work John and very nice adaptation.  

More of an accident than adaptation. I used to have an ultra all the time for those summer afternoon snoozing bass, perch were always biting. I figured the PWF lakes have some honk in' big sunfish with an occasion bass (most likely a cull). Those 4’s and the 3 were fun.