brian martin

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 36036
Property Name : Frannies Lake
Reservation Date : 05/13/2023 All Day - 05/13/2023 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 100 plus
Lures Used : all mosty plastics , and crank baits ,

We started early and we caught fish all over the lake . We started catching crapie out in the deeper water by the damn and it did not stop we had 75 crapie in the boat ,We also caught 30 plus bass with the largest about 5.6 , and 5 more in the 4lbs range , all mostly on black and blue anything . it was a very good day of fishing even when the storm came in , we were still catching fish. I do have one concern , alot of the fish had big sores all over there body and on the lips . Not sure what is going on . And one more thing , some people came in and dumped some feeder fish in and when they left they left the gate open . We went for lunch right after they left so it was not open long but i just thought someone should know . This is a great lake .thanks for letting us fish it PWF. 

May 15 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice bag of crappie!

East TX sugar sand/abrasive substrate for spawning/bedding + naturally acidic/tannic water + not eating for a period of time = more sores than average.  Once they start cruising for bluegill, the spines of larger prey than they might otherwise chase down will beat their mouths up pretty good.  In general, nothing to worry about, but you might try taking a series of pictures next time as that would help ASF/PWF assess the post spawn recovery/condition.

Not sure if they have ever limed, but this was my first year liming and under similar conditions, our fish bounced back very quickly – much fewer number with far few instances of spawning sores. higly recommend.   

May 15 2023

brian martin

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice bag of crappie!

East TX sugar sand/abrasive substrate for spawning/bedding + naturally acidic/tannic water + not eating for a period of time = more sores than average.  Once they start cruising for bluegill, the spines of larger prey than they might otherwise chase down will beat their mouths up pretty good.  In general, nothing to worry about, but you might try taking a series of pictures next time as that would help ASF/PWF assess the post spawn recovery/condition.

Not sure if they have ever limed, but this was my first year liming and under similar conditions, our fish bounced back very quickly – much fewer number with far few instances of spawning sores. higly recommend.   

Yea I should have taken pictures of them , I have seen fish post spawn but they were mostly on the tails , these sores were all over there body almost like a fungi growing on them .And it was not every fish just about 1 out of 3 .  I had a fish tank one time the fish I had got ick and thats kinda what it looked like . But thats great news if they are ok , just battle wounds . 

May 15 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By brian martin

Yea I should have taken pictures of them , I have seen fish post spawn but they were mostly on the tails , these sores were all over there body almost like a fungi growing on them .And it was not every fish just about 1 out of 3 .  I had a fish tank one time the fish I had got ick and thats kinda what it looked like . But thats great news if they are ok , just battle wounds . 

That is a specific bacteria from that is common in water, but will spread on a post spawn fish that is still recovering. It will hurt the males more than the females in most instances.  Generally nothing to worry about – just suppresed immune systems from not eating from spawn/early post spawn. 

May 15 2023

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Brian,

Thank you for making us aware of the gate that was left open after your arrival!

Cole PWF