Wednesday Mar 22 - Wills Point - Double A (The overall scenario got the best of us this time!)

Mar 23 2023

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Pam and I fished AA on Wednesday on what we were hoping would be an active, pre-spawn deal but the cold spell over the prior weekend and the colder morning temps seemed to have AA in a late winter pattern for our day. Water temps were 55 at the start of the day and ended at 58 at the end of the day as the ambient temps were on the rise. I noticed temps on the far north shore as high as 62 late in the day.

That being the situation, it turns out that the wind was not our friend this day. With a south wind sustained at 13 to 20 as the day progressed and gusting to 30, the exposure of this lake got the best of us in the 12ft john boat. I marked some good arcs on my little 2D suspended off the “ledges” in 25 to 30 ft, but holding any position and “finessing” was a losing battle at best and they weren’t willing to chase anything we were presenting. About the only “pattern” was to focus on the southern horseshoe of the lake, anchor in the weeds on the quarry “shelf” and throw to deep water and crawl the bait back up the ledge/weedline. The northern shore was warmer and the water clarity lower, but was taking a vicious pounding with the wind and we just couldn’t fish it effectively.

Overall - we landed 7 up to 4.75 with 2 over 4lb and 2 over 3lb and 3 under 3lb. Those we landed fell for a 4.8 paddle tail and a 3.8 paddle tail and a drop shot “ringworm” and a hard jerk bait. Nothing on anything else and we tried a LOT.

If you are heading out there soon, I’d guess that they’ll be moving up from their suspended state and be more in the mood to feed pretty soon! Those we landed were fat and sassy.

Still a fun day to be out with my favorite fishing partner! Oh, and got to watch a momma cow eating her placenta - for a “city boy” that was different. :)

Good luck out there y’all - Mark

Mar 23 2023

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

It's still a great trip, report, and photos. Double-A gets booked alot but see very few posts. Thanks for sharing!