David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34565
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 12/21/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2 LMB, 1 dink, 1 about 1 lb
Lures Used : Lipless, Jerkbait and a bunch of stuff that didn't work

This was my first time fishing Bluebonnet Ridge, and I had high hopes for the day before the arctic blast to come.  Weather was mid to high 40s, hazy clouds all day, wind started calm then got up to 5-10mph through the afternoon.  Water on the big lake was 50 degrees, clear with 2’ visibility, while water on the smaller lake was between 50-54 degrees with 3’ visibility.  Still tons of green grass on the big lake under the surface.  I started just throwing a few lures from the dock at the smaller lake and caught the first fish on a craw pattern Red Eyed Shad lipless after only 10 or so minutes.  I thought that was a great indicator of a productive day to come...but I was wrong.  After about 45 mins and only that 1 small fish, I moved down to the big lake and loaded up the boat.  The wind was starting to come up so I just drifted with it and began the process of not catching any fish or getting any bites at all.  I tried: swim jig through the grass, chatterbait through the grass, flat sided crankbait in the deeper areas, 3.3” swimbait on a flashy swimmer slowly over the top of the grass, a fluke in the shallows near the bank, a few different lipless cranks, and a jerkbait in the deeper areas.  The jerkbait ended up catching my only other fish, so I kept throwing it but could not find any other takers.  Around 2:45 I decided to move back to the small lake.  I added an A-rig to the unsuccessful lures list, and covered water with the lipless and chatterbaits and swimbait.  I tried a Tx rig stickbait around the cattails and the dock, not even a nibble.  I wrapped up around 4:45pm as the hazy sun was dipping below the horizon and my fingers were getting numb.  Sure was a pretty sunset at a really pretty property.  I’ll get ‘em next time.