Jason Goth

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34295
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 11/06/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 37 LMB 1 Crappie
Lures Used : Senko, Chatterbait, Carolina Rig

Went with my friend Steven Pierce to Salt Lick.  Got there around 8:30a. Water was really low.  I could get the 17ft Bass Tracker in ok – but was deep in the mud.  If you have a larger bass boat, you might want to wait until there is a little more water.

Started with a spinner, chatterbait, and a buzzbait all around the remaining grass.  Steven caught 1 nice one (3.5#) on chatterbait, but we had a hard time getting bit.  He switched to a dropshot with a shad pattern Berkley flatworm and I tried a green pumpkin Senko around all the brush piles.  We got a lot of little ones to bite (12 culls and 7 that were just over 14”).  But, we couldn’t get anything of any size.  Tried a Texas rig (Tequila sunrise powerworm) and senko around the old tank dam on the east side and caught 1 very aggressive crappie (1#).  We stopped for lunch around 12:00.  At 1:00 we started just trolling with the graph to see if we could find any bigger ones.  We found several groups bunched up around a lot of rocks on the west side deep (18-25ft).  We tried a few things (dropshot and jig) but couldn’t entice them.  So, we switched to a Carolina rig with a Magnum Trick worm (green pumpkin and black) and that was the ticket.  We caught 12 in the next hour. All were decent size (2.5#-3.5#) – maybe a little skinny.  We saw some schools chasing shad so we threw fluke and a topwater at them with no luck.  So, we went back to the C-rig off the rocky points and caught 6 more really nice ones (3.5#-4#) before calling it a day around 3:30.   

Love all the lakes at this property.  Looking forward to the next visit.