Apr 15 2022

Jim Campbell

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32072
Property Name : Heartbrand Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/14/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 7 bass - 2-3 lbs; 9 catfish 3-8 lbs; 17 sunfish
Lures Used : Ned rigged Zman Finesse Molting Craw, PowerBait swim shad, Zoom Finesse green pumpkin worm, various crankbaits and plastic worms

My brother and I fished from 12:30-6:00pm.  We have been hampered by March-April winds near San Antonio and decided to start with the fishing dock and bank fishing.  The action was good enough we never made it to the boat.  Consequently, we fished maybe 20% of the lake.  We’re anxious to go back and work the rest of the lake.  The three largest fish of the day were cats; 8 lbs, 6lbs and 5 lbs.  In addition, we caught another six cats all over 3 lbs.  The best bass was 3 lbs with 6 others in the 2-3 lb. range.  My brother got hooked on catching sunfish and pulled in 17 over the course of 3 hours.  The cats were hitting everything from plastic worms to swimbaits to jigs.  The bass preferred mainly dark colored worms dragged slowly.  Spinners and crankbaits had little value during the day.

Heartbrand Ranch is a beautiful property and well maintained.  It’s easy to access and the water level was higher than other San Antonio-area lakes.  The water was stained and the winds varied from 8-15 mph.  We’ll definitely be back.