Cold but beautiful day and the Flying J

Dec 07 2021

Luke Graham

Fry

Number of Posts :

Date of Visit: 11/26/21

Decided to go fishing instead of doing the whole Black Friday thing (sorry for the late post!). Went with my father and fellow PWF member Gregg. We arrived around 7am and it was COLD! Slight ice around the edge of the lake and the provided Al boat was freezing. We decided to bank fish a little first which wasn’t very successful but it did allow the temp to rise a few degrees. Getting the boat into the lake was tough as there doesn’t seem to be a ramp. There was actually another boat further up the bank but we used the one near the area where the map said to park.  After getting out onto the lake we tried the trusty Mepps spinner and Rooster Tails, got some hits no takers around the bank. 

Moved into the center near the trees and started to get more action, Rattletrap seemed to do the trick. We caught about 35 fish total, only 1 was bigger than 1.5 lbs.  The day warmed up some and the wind was almost nonexistent for much of the day – absolutely beautiful! Across the road there were people duck hunting which was interesting!  The lake was pretty shallow and we attempted to fish every part of it. The biggest of the day was caught by Gregg, a 3.5 lb bass near the dam. That was the ONLY fish we caught over there but by far the biggest. 

I did attempt the T-rig worm, and jig, and crankbait. Of the the 35 caught 30 were on the Rattle traps, and the others were on the Mepps or a small crankbait.  3 or 4 bluegill in the mix too. 

We did notice that the provided jon boat was very slowly filling with water but even after about 7 hours it wasn’t enough to be worrying.  Getting it banked and emptied of water was tough as Gregg is 70 and I didn’t want him to get wet…and I’m…uh…let’s call it ‘husky’ lol Eventually we got it landed and I pulled it as far as I could by myself and got it flipped over (which was how it was when we got there). 

Overall a gorgeous day with some great company.  On a side note….Gregg and I purchased a like-new Bass Tracker Classic XL the following week!! Hopefully we’ll take it on her maiden voyage in a few days!