David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30489
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 11/26/2021 All Day - 11/26/2021 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 Bass up to 3.75lb, 2 Crappie up to 1.5lb
Lures Used : Squarebill, Ned Rig

The day before this outing, my Bass Forecast app downgraded the “rating” from in the 4’s (Fair) to a 2.8 (Tough Day).  I guess they know what they are talking about, because it was pretty slow sledding.  Took my oldest son for his first time fishing a PWF property, and the fact that he caught the first one, and a few more including his PB (almost 3lbs) made it worth the grind.  We got on the water around 8am, air temp was 33 degrees and got up in the high 50’s by mid-day, water temp was 57 degrees pretty much all day.  Fished until 4:30pm.  Water was stained with visibility about 3 feet.  Very calm to light wind conditions that switched around from several directions throughout the day.  Couldn’t really find any pattern or schools of fish, and as this was my first time fishing such a deep quarry lake, I didn’t really have a lot of back-up plans when my first round of lure choices didn’t have much success.  A couple of times in the mid-afternoon there were some topwater blowups as bass were busting baitfish on the surface, but they were one-offs and I wasn’t able to get to them before it was over and done.  Caught most of the fish on a shad colored squarebill and a black and blue ned rig Hula Stick at random places around the perimeter which is still really deep.  Both crappie and at least 3 bass came from the far east side where the brushline is submerged.  Other one off fish were caught on a jerkbait, and an underspin.  Lures that did not get bit: chatterbait, 5XD crankbait, lipless crankbait, jig, Tx rigged worm, swinging head jig w/ Z-Craw, spinnerbait.