Luke Graham

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30259
Property Name : The Bluffs of Sandy Shores
Reservation Date : 11/09/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 30 total - 20 culled, 10 returned
Lures Used : Mepps spinners, some crank baits

Went with my father Gregg, who is a PWF member as well. This was our first time using PWF and this lake.  We haven't been able to do much fishing in recent years so we're a little out of practice lol. Got there just after sunrise. Used the provided boat and outlr trolling motor. 

Fish were biting up until about 11am and then almost nothing but little ones until about 5. Neither of us know how to fish with the TX rigged worms so we went with spinners and some crank baits. The grass was prevalent in most of the lake so a lot of little snags with most baits. 

Early on the fish were biting pretty well. Gregg caught a 2.5 lb while I hadn't caught anything at first. Then out of nowhere this nearly 8.5 lb monster hit that Mepps about 10 ft from the boat!!  Wow!! Talk about a hard act to follow!

After pics she was released back to make someone else's day! We went on to catch 3 or 4 more around 2.5 lbs and a couple 3-4 lb bass.  We tried all over the lake throughout the day. Wind wasn't too bad. After about 11am there were only small ones. 

We had a great time and can't wait to go out again. Being newbs I think we need to learn how to do the TX rigs. Maybe one of the veterans would be willing to go out with me and show how it's done! Lol

Can't wait to go out again soon!

Luke

Nov 10 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Love seeing these hammers come in after a hot and relatively dry July/Aug/Sept

If the fishing slows down and you need to use plastics – try a ned rig outside that pond weed line – you just cast it and don’t really have to do much with it and the fish will hook themselves more times than not b/c the hook is exposed. 

Gratz on that fish!

Nov 11 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Texas Rig is great for such conditions. Another is a small Craw on a worm hook. You can rig your line with a 3/16 oz slip weight on Flourocarbon or braid and the craw. You can throw into the grass ond just slowly reel in and no twitching or pulling is needed as the craw going through the grass will make it jerk around. This is killer in the grass. Zoom makes these called Speed Craw or I make them called Quick Craw. Not trying to advertise but this combination really works in the grasses. I used one the other day and did well on Lake Sam Rayburn tossing against cyprus trees. For using worms and such, a good heavy/fast action or medium heavy fast action rod is great so that you can feel the twitch of the bass. They do not typically jump on a worm and run as with hard plastics but love the feel of the twitch and to me, is fun fishing worms and such. Look at photo for the Zoom or Epic Baits craw. The tail action with these really flutter.
Great catch on that monster.

Nov 11 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

Texas Rig is great for such conditions. Another is a small Craw on a worm hook. You can rig your line with a 3/16 oz slip weight on Flourocarbon or braid and the craw. You can throw into the grass ond just slowly reel in and no twitching or pulling is needed as the craw going through the grass will make it jerk around. This is killer in the grass. Zoom makes these called Speed Craw or I make them called Quick Craw. Not trying to advertise but this combination really works in the grasses. I used one the other day and did well on Lake Sam Rayburn tossing against cyprus trees. For using worms and such, a good heavy/fast action or medium heavy fast action rod is great so that you can feel the twitch of the bass. They do not typically jump on a worm and run as with hard plastics but love the feel of the twitch and to me, is fun fishing worms and such. Look at photo for the Zoom or Epic Baits craw. The tail action with these really flutter.
Great catch on that monster.

Not huge but the Quick Craw did it’s job today.