Harrison Papaila

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29681
Property Name : Jones Lake
Reservation Date : 09/05/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 12 lmb up to 17"
Lures Used : jig, crank, senko

I decided to go fishing around noon. To no surprise, many of the PWF lakes were booked due to Labor Day weekend. Glad to see fellow anglers getting after it in the heat. Jones Lake was available, so I reserved it and hit the road.

The water is gin clear with lots of vegetation (pics below – still haven’t learned my aquatic plants. Hydrilla, perhaps?). Due to the water clarity, it was readily apparent that the lake has a healthy bluegill population. Further, I was able to either catch or foul hook nearly a dozen bluegill, some as small as the lure itself. As for the bass, I caught a dozen and harvested 10. One was barely over the slot, and the other was a skinny 16”. Similarly, due to the water clarity, you could see bass everywhere. I only fished for two hours, but I spent at least half the time picking apart the deeper water and ledges looking for larger bass. I did see one larger bass – perhaps 18” - chasing a hooked dink from the deepest part of the lake. If so inclined, you could probably catch a dink every 5 minutes or so just tossing a senko along the shallow grasslines and around the timber. 

Note to those launching boats: I would not recommend launching in the designated boat launch area. It is very swampy (pics below). I launched there, but got stuck when practicing my retrieve, even without my boat on the trailer. I had to detach my trailer and find some driftwood for traction just to get my truck out. I ended up retrieving my boat at the corner of the dam where the land was dry and the hydrilla wasn’t so thick. 

Sep 06 2021

Harrison Papaila

Fry

Number of Posts :

pics