Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29339
Property Name : Flying J
Reservation Date : 08/07/2021 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25 bass; all but 1 were under 14"
Lures Used : various topwater, fluke, trick worm, squarebill crank

I took my 7 yr old son for an early morning bank fishing trip. We walked around the entire lake, catching a few at each stop.  Good casting locations were somewhat limited to him due to vegetation and embankment drops near the shoreline.  Adults should have no problem fishing most of the entire shoreline.

It has been said in several previous reports, and I agree that this property will be fantastic in the coming years.  I look forward to seeing it blossom into full potential with another year or so of strong harvesting.

We caught 25 total, but do not let that number fool you.  That is very low compared to the potential. We got a later start than I would have preferred, and I spent quite a bit of time working with him on some new techniques.  Had I been alone this morning, I have no doubt I could have pulled a Barry Switzer (“hang a half a hundred”) by myself.  Don’t get me wrong.  I would not trade the time with my son for any number of fish.  I just want to point out that this place is a goldmine for numbers.  Our catch to cast ratio was insane.  Also we would have caught more total if he fished more.  He had a close encounter with a snake that seemed to shake him up a bit.  He wasn’t really into it much after that incident.

Of the 25, we harvested 23.  Only one skinny bass was over 14” (barely).  There was one other dink who decided to make a last-ditch effort to escape and succeeded. He jumped as I went to put him in the harvest cooler and was able to flop right back into the water.  I applaud his effort, as his fate otherwise would not have been great.

One final thing I will point out is something to consider if you plan to bank fish this property.  We have one of those collapsable wagons which I spontaneously grabbed on the way out the door.  I am so glad I did.  It worked great for carrying what the two of us needed as we walked around this property (several rods, small tackle bag, drink cooler, harvest cooler, and first aid kit).  If you have one of those wagons, it could come in very handy.  Backpacks are great, but to have something for harvest fish came in very handy.  This particular property has a designated area into which our harvest fish went.  We were able to load that particular cooler with the small fish and deposit them where they needed to be as we made our way back around to the truck.

Aug 07 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Glad you had a good morning with the kiddo – bummer about the snake, but I like the idea of the wagon – that’s a fine idea.