Nix TCU Island hopping

Jul 18 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29040
Property Name : Nix Ranch: Lake TCU
Reservation Date : 07/17/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 60 lmb 5 bluegill - largest was 5 lbs most in the 2-4lb range
Lures Used : PopR, frog, spook, fluke, spinner bait, t-rig zcraw, swimbait, whopper plopper

Started off with top water from bank at 6:10am with megabass popmax and frog.  Landed 11 in pretty short order. We decided to hop in the boat before the sun got up too high.

Water temp was 82 and wind blowing from the south to the north.  Lake is full of nice healthy vegetation so had to pick baits wisely to avoid getting hung up. Electronics didn't help much given the amount of grass.

Started at the island in the southeast corner anchored between island and shore. Most fish were coming on a t-rig zcraw swam on top of the grass.  Most strikes came off the back side of island so we beached the boat and hopped on the island and picked up 15 more.  

Bite started to die off so we jumped in the boat and headed to the smallest island just north and repeated the same process.  Picked up 10 more with a little better size.

Next we tried to fish the dam but by this point the wind was howling and we couldn't  keep the boat in place so we headed back to dock to grab a bite.  As we were eating in the nice shade of the covered dock, massive bluegill were all over the area. So I grabbed a chunk of my sandwich bread and put it on a wacky worm hook I had tied on and caught a huge bluegill.  All the commotion called up a large bass that took a swipe at the school. We finished lunch with 4 more bluegill and headed out to the last island closest to the dock.  

Started throwing the same t rig zcraw we crushed em on and couldn't get any takers. So switched to a frog and got a ton of blow ups but only landed 4.  So we switched to spook style walking baits and cleaned up.  This is what the 5lber came on right off the dock before the grass line.  Glad I had straight braid to horse it through the grass.  

My friend caught a small bass on a light spinner bait when a huge bass started chasing it and managed to engulf it. He almost had both to the shore when the big one spit out the smaller one, pretty crazy to watch.

Made a few more laps around the smaller island and picked up a few more. Decided to hit the dam from the bank so loaded up all the gear and drove down closer to the dam. Managed to pick up 10 more on the z craw jr in the north east corner.  Off the water by 3:30pm.

Another awesome PWF property!!