Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26665
Property Name : Sandy Creek Ranch
Reservation Date : 12/12/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 75 +/- up to 2.5 lbs
Lures Used : All Flies

On a whim I bought a top water mouse fly from Orvis the other day.  On an even bigger whim I decided to throw it today on a bright sunny day after a little cold front.  Turns out the bass at Sandy creek just got down right angry about a mouse swimming around in their crib.  Caught about a dozen bass off that funky little mouse fly (pics) and had a blast.  Fished with my buddy and brand new PW member Brett Stalkup and we just tore em up today with the fly rods.  Fished the "third lake" in the am until about noon and between the mouse and black wooly buggers we caught about 60 bass.  Thanks to Chris Casner to helped me "find" the third lake and also filed a report suggesting if you find the deep creek you'll find the bass - he was right.  We didn't catch anything huge but we caught a bunch of bass.  About 40% of them were culls and ones that went back were just over the 14" limit.  Did see about a four or five pounder chasing one of the smaller bass as I was bringing him in.  Bottom line on the "third lake" - lots a bass!  

Brett had some honey dos to do back in Dallas so he took off about noon.  I stayed and fished the "first lake" - the main lake just down from the house in the afternoon.  In the main lake the bass were slightly bigger - but a little harder to find.  I ended up with 16 bass in the main lake with only two culls but the "big bass" was maybe 2.5 pounds.  Found the bass out a little deeper with sink tip line off the slight point across from the launch and close to the tree that sticks up just out from the launch.  It was a great day outdoors with a good buddy and a bunch of hard fighting bass.  Used my 5 weight and about a 25 year old Fenwick 7 weight I bought for about 20 bucks that is really soft and whippy.  Made these bass seem way bigger than their actual size.  This is a beautiful property and as we continue to cull the bass are gonna size up.

Dec 14 2020

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That's a lot of bass on a fly - congrats on a great day. 

Mar 04 2021

Paul Prosser

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Chris Casner

For Fuller that’s an off day.