Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22929
Property Name : Hawg Trough Lake: Heartland 10-10 Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/05/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 12 up to 7 pounds
Lures Used : Flies/Rattle Trap/Cranks/Spinnerbaits/Plastics

Fished Hawg Trough and Beaver Lake on Thursday and Friday with my buddies Michael Sanderson (and his son Stone) and Lance Seach.  Weather was great both days. The fishing was just a little off numbers wise but amazing size wise.  We all fished hard and all over (deep, shallow and in the nasty think brush and pads) and tried everything in our fly box and tackle box both days.  We managed just 12 fish in two full days of fishing but man were they an amazing dozen fish.  We caught seven fish between 5 and 7 pounds, four between 2 and 4 pounds and one fat healthy 13 inch cull. We heard the group fishing on one of the other lakes caught and 8.8 - I hope they file a report as I'm curious how things went for them overall.  I caught 4 bass over 5 pounds on the fly rod and that was a huge deal for me - reminded me of the grind and exhilaration of permit fishing in the salt.  We worked hard for bites and didn't get many but the bites we got were great.  Craig told us both lakes had been shocked pretty recently and he was wondering if maybe that had put the fish off a bit.  Who knows - Bass Forecast rated both days in the 3's and combined with our skill level it just may not have been our day numbers wise.  A shout out to Bass Forecast - on both days we caught most of the big bass right at the start of the major period for both days.  Lance and I were in separate boats and had big fish on within 30 seconds of each other on both days.  We stayed in the trailer and had a great time and were comfortable.  Lance caught his second and third biggest bass ever (7 and 6.5).  The trailer, boats and hospitality and property were top notch and seeing all the deer was a morning and evening bonus.  Great trip - Thanks PW.