Pruitt Bro's Get Big Numbers and Big Fish at Cody Ranch (2 Day Trip - 181 Total Fish Count with 4 Big Kicker Fish) SEE PICS

Apr 22 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Pruitt Brothers Road Trip to Coalgate - Cody Ranch 

After a little deliberation and knowing it was going to be a long holiday weekend, we decided to make a trip to Cody Ranch Oklahoma. No way to do this post justice as to the remarkable results. Everything is BIG in TEXAS we cliché…………but Phil & I have yet to hit 4 Eight Pounders + and 181 catch total in a short two (2) day trip to anywhere but Cody Ranch in Coalgate, Oklahoma.

Lets’ get to it…………

Thursday afternoon 4/18/19 started out with a commute from the South East side of Houston arriving at the Cody Ranch Lodge at 9:30 PM with a windy & cold front forecast for all day Friday. And a FULL MOON to boot which is most often not kind to us.

Our reservation had us on the Lower and Upper Hart Lakes for Friday. We started Friday morning, after driving the ranch getting the lay of the land, on the Lower Hart which was not as windy as the upper with temps in the 40’s. The wind was howling and just never would let up. Up at the crack of dawn ready to go. However, we did not get the boat launched until 9:30 AM due to our indecision about “are we on the right lake”. Big ranch, lots of lakes. Good thing we brought our secret weapon all the way from Texas to insure success on this trip………Cripsy Bacon (see pic) Sandwiches with Mayo. Fishing Fuel! And Fried Spam just for kicks……….what’s in that stuff anyway?

Friday Day One - 4/19/19

My very first cast and first fish caught on the Lower Hart with water temp at 62 degrees produced an 8.4 pound bucket mouth (see the pic) and I think I heard her say welcome to Oklahoma you Boys from Texas (can bass really talk?) after our couples photo and the quick release. With this first catch now in the books my brother Phil and I could hardy wait to see what the rest of the day would bring. Between the two of us we would have a day’s end catch total of “75” Bass. Approximately thirty (30) of those harvested. The day ended in a most climatic way. We loaded Phils’ 16 foot grizzly tracker boat back on the trailer very late afternoon and headed back to the lodge with the thought of doing a quick walk around on the lodge lake. With the sun almost set Phil stuck a cookie cutter (see pic) resembling my first fish from this morning with his weighing in at 8.2 pounds. Super way to end the day!

Saturday Day Two - 4/20/19

Launched the boat back on the Lower Hart at light enough to see with air temp at a frosty 42 degrees with the water still around 62 degrees. No wind, dead calm and ready to pick up where we left off from day one. In our minds we knew that we had to beat a 75 fish total from the previous day for this trip to really count. Well, 106 fish later from literally hundreds of cast (50 Harvested) we are convinced that if this ranch were around the Houston area we would be hard pressed to fish this property quite often and call it our go to lakes. Several lakes to choose from on 3,500 acres and we got a good look at them all. Oh, I failed to mention that two (2) of those 106 fish on day two (2) exceeded 8 pounds and were caught on the upper hart in a walk around exercise by my brother. He nailed the first one yelling from a distance get the scale! What a beauty (see pic) and she nailed his bait presentation like a freight train heading down hill with a full head of steam with only clear mono, a zcraw and a hook between them! Yep, photo and quick release - so now what you gonna do Phil? How about 15 minutes later catch another one exceeding 8 pounds on the other side of the lake………yes, I took a picture of them (Phil and his new best friend) sitting on a stump log with the Upper Hart in the background. Felt like the camera man at a firemens’ calendar shoot. Good job brother on catching three (3) of the four (4) 8+ pounders on this trip. Oh, and by the way, Phil got me on numbers as well. You must have had a really good teacher and I am still tying your 20 pound fluorocarbon to 15 pound mono leader knots LOL!

Catch Recap:

Four (4) Beast Over 8 Pounds

Five (5) Nice Ones Over 4 Pounds

Twenty (20) Scrappy Ones Over 3 Pounds

Approximately Seventy-Two (72) Between Two (2) and Three (3) Pounds

Approximately 80 Harvested

TWO DAY TOTAL FISH COUNT - 181

Bait Recap: (see pics)

Mostly Stiko (Senko Type) Worm, Z Craw and Yamamoto Senko’s. Nothing else worked and we tried several baits. Chatter, square bills, blades, creature, mondo worm, they did not want any of it………..we are thinking about downsizing our bait arsenal since it seems like we have about three (3) baits that really work well everywhere we go. Often we were able to site cast to bass that were actively moving in search of bait fish. Setting the hook over and over again just never seems to get old.

Lake Recap:

The water clarity was about 2 ½ foot in most of the lakes averaging 62 degrees water temp. The lakes do not have vegetation issues at all from the cold winter weather impact and recent the fertilizing administered. Our favorites for this trip were Upper and Lower Hart (for Bigger), Crabgrass (for numbers), and Moonshine (for numbers). We did a quick little walk around as well on the Peach Tree (Stocked with Florida Strain), North and South Twins with little success.

We met and spoke with Mr. Steve Cody the ranch owner. He welcomed us graciously and gave us some history of the ranch.  Mr. Cody has had recent hospital stints/surgeries related for various medical concerns and is now in our prayers for a full recovery and abundant health. We made it known to Mr. Cody that we absolutely appreciate him making his “piece of heaven on earth” available to the PWF members and that we were taking some great memories with us back to Texas. The lodge was very comfortable and roomy. We were able to park the boat under the patio porch to charge the 24 volt batteries on the trolling motor. Very nice set up Mr. Steve! By the way, Mr. Steve Cody speaks highly of the members that fish his ranch. I know some of the PWF members do a group event annually here and Phil and I plan to get in on one in the near future.

We packed our bags & our memories and left Sunday morning at 3:30 AM trailering the boat back to Houston Town. Wish we would have had more time to scout out all of the lakes closer but pressed for time to get back for Easter Sunday and spend time with Our Children - Grand Children - Family.

Cody Ranch is an awesome PWF location. Thank you Mr. Steve & Keri Alexander, Dave Newsom & Cole Porter for working so hard to make this club first class and congratulations on what I think is the largest club membership to date! “Build it and They Will Come” is my favorite line from the movie “Field of Dreams”.

Hope All Had a Wonderful Easter Holiday. I know two brothers from Texas did……………..

Freedom is Not Free – A Big Holiday Thanks to All Military Service Personnel, Police & First Responders for Your Loyal Service to Our Great Country!

The Pruitt (Bacon) Brothers

Apr 22 2019

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Well done! Looks like you had a great trip!

Bob

Apr 22 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Yes Sir, we did. Really like the upper and lower Hart Lakes for sure! Thrall coming up on Saturday and we hope to have a decent day but no way are expecting anything like what just happened at Cody Ranch. Going to be some tough fishing there based on what we are hearing from other members post about the lake. We have baits and bacon…...............

Apr 22 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Wayne, I really enjoyed your report. After driving all that way from Houston, you earned a good weekend, and I'm so happy for you! Well done, Sir!

Apr 22 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Tom it was a real pleasure and it stretched us a bit based on logistics. Really was not looking forward to pulling the boat that far…................definitely would not have pushed it that far LOL! Well over 400 miles one way for us…............Phil would do it every weekend since I am the uber and he is the ride shotgun sleeper.

Apr 22 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great report as always.  Really enjoy reading about your trips with your brother.  

You guys have been killing it on these lakes.  

Apr 22 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

1) Wow

2) I am jealous of your skills 

3) I have not caught 181 bass in the last two years (including several days at Cody)! 

4) I took crispy bacon after your last post and it did not help (but I love crispy bacon so all was not lost). 

5) Clearly there is some other trick, magic, mojo or talisman you use? Perhaps you could post a picture of how you all hold your mouths when you fish? Color hat? Anything? Surely not just good fishermen! That would be too easy.

6) I very much enjoy your posts. 

Apr 23 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

David,

Phil and I read your post together and could not stop laughing…..........LOL…...........too funny! Trust me if you were with us we could show you a few things that would get you there quick. We are not superior to anyone else out there we have just perfected a few techniques that produce. My brother fishes Carolina with a system I thought I invented but Cole Porter has been using the technique for a long while. Cole has an term he refers to for fishing this style. Maybe Cole will chime in and reveal the term and technique. You actually tie a clear 20 pound flurocarbon 2 1/2 foot leader to your mono or braid. Put line stoppers on both sides of the very small 1/4 or 3/8 weight . Slide the weight up to about 10 0r 12 inches about a size 3 or 4 wide gap or J hook. Slide on a 4 inch ZCRAW weedless just barely skin hooked and now your ready to go. Phil targets shorelines throwing to the bank and even throwing it on the edge of the bank and working it back to the boat. 75 perecnt of his fish are caught this way and not fishing it deep like a lot of folks do with a big carolina rig with a big weight designed to feel the structure on the bottom. Your not looking to find structure with this rig. Your trying to just keep the bait free dangling and darting instead of rigging a weigthed texas rig. The cool thing is you can slide the weight down and make it a texas rig.

Apr 23 2019

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thank you for all the great information you provide. Always enjoy your fishing reports

Apr 23 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

David, I am still smiling after reading your reply to the post…..............I failed to mention that the crispy bacon is not for luck…..............it is our secret weapon. Instead of breaking for lunch we eat the sandwich with one hand while fishing with the other. Our numbers get beefed up by not stopping or napping although sometimes a good nap would be awesome.

I hope you bust the next lake wide open with an eye popping post with these new tips. Show us what you got buddy….................smiley

Apr 23 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Wayne, I was just counting your bacon pieces, and I don't think you actually had enough bacon per fish to pull this off.  Can you do a re-count of bass per bacon slice? Just double checking…. 

Apr 24 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Jim,

We did run out of bacon which is not good when your counting fish, you are correct. The contingency plan was the fried spam which is our plan B when in a pinch. We will have to plan better for future trips….........not sure we are going to see these kind of numbers again anytime soon. Our next trip is to Thrall and we are not setting high expectations from previous post we have read. Sounds like more quality than quantity. Anxious to actually get a look at this lake and see if we can figure it out. It will be fun regardless of the catch count. Taking plenty of senkos, zcraws and bacon just in case.

Apr 24 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Oh yes that Spam factor resolved it.  You guys are awesome. Did you guys filet all of those culls? 

Thank you for the great report Wayne.  Best of luck at Thrall.

Kind regards to the best,

Jim

Apr 25 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Jim,

Yum, fried fish coming in the near future…..............the best bass fry has been the annual club event where members catch culls and they go into the fryer for lunch. Phil and I attended the Dogwood event in Henderson and the Lago Escondido in Hondo last year. Good times and nice meeting other members. Got to here form the attending members about their favorite lakes and their tenure in the club. 

Apr 29 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Wayne, I am headed up to Hart this weekend first time.  It's supposed to rain all week.  I was wondering about launching my 17.5 ft Plano G3 aluminum in the Upper and Lower lakes.  How is the "ramp" condition, is it easy to locate and launch?  Boat weighs about 1800 lbs and I will be pulling with 4WD.  Any advice?

Thanks, Jim  

Apr 29 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Jim,

Lower Hart you will need to go through a gate we had trouble finding and the launch is just a little bit of slate rock sloped into the water. Our boat is half the wight of yours….........the upper is easier to find but still slate rock sloped into the water…...........it can be done but with caution. The roads appeared to be all in great shape with no wash outs or issues…................this pic is a photo of our rig on the Lower Hart which is why we use this 16 footer for easy access in and out. Private message me and I can give my cell number to give you some valuable pointers on the lakes. I would fish them via walk around if you are not opposed to a little trek with out a boat if necessary. There is a walk around 6 acre pond by the lodge that is a must…......big fish there.