Finally Fished Boatwright (Hickory Creek’s Older Brother) Although the Big One Got Away! 8-12-2018

Aug 13 2018

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

What a beautiful, remote and secluded location in SE Texas! I believe it was built by the owner of Hickory Creek in 2002 and is a nice compliment to the other fine PWF tanks near Crockett!

Conditions: overcast skies for the most part till the rain arrived at 2PM. Very slight but shifting southerly breeze. Water temp 85-86F. Air temps high 80’s. Water clarity 8-10ft. Water down ~3ft from full with approximately 10 – 20ft of algae (both surface and submerged) fringing the entire tank. Submerged weed growth was also locally present mixed in with the algae.

John Shepard and I arrived just after sunrise, loaded up the big onsite boat and kicked off the day. We primarily fished the open water portions of the lake until the heavy rain and big winds arrived at 2PM. The day started with a nice topwater (both popper and buzz) bite within 10ft of the fringing algae that lasted till 10am.Then we had some success (although no real pattern was established prior to our departure) fishing the submerged timber/stumps of the old creek channels that run through the tank down to the dam. Between us we caught 25 LMB (over half on topwaters) and culled 20 (~8 – 14” range).

The first fish of the day (3lb) would be the largest that we landed. The big news though (relative to the other fishing reports on this location) is that John hooked a big girl (prob 6lb+) around the submerged timber that gave him a hell of a fight before it got wrapped around some deep branches and escaped his wacky senko presentation.

Hated to leave early but it was clear from the radar app that the storm was going to continue for several hours. Hope to fish this tank again this fall…it wouldn't surprise me if there were some large ones lurking around this reservoir.

Bob

Aug 14 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Sounds like you had a good time, though, Bob, even though the big girl got away. Glad for the rain down there, too! Nice report.