Beautiful day, few fish

Jun 13 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I started my morning at Black Hat at 5:55,  just light enough to see.  Overcast, light breeze. Visibility about 18". Forgot to check the water temp. Hooked and lost a good fish on a black/blue flake, wacky-rigged, weightless Senko near the closest brushpile to the dam on the ramp side of the lake. Palomar knot to hook broke - must have had an extra twist in it or something. It could have been a 12+, or it could have been a 4+. Never saw it. Good fish, though. I ended up stopping at 11:00 to prevent overheating. Only boated 6 bass, all between 1-08 and 2-12. Four on the Senko and 2 on a size 130 Whopper Plopper. I've never seen the American Pondweed so thick at the shallow end of the lake - pretty much solid on the surface from the northernmost island to the feeder creek reeds. I didn't even try to penetrate it. The "12 mph" wind made whitecaps on the lake. Still a fun morning.

What worked:  5" Senko, black/blue flake, weightless and wacky-rigged. shad/black back size 130 Whopper Plopper 

What didn't:  T-rigged Pit Boss, chartreuse/blue spinnerbait, white bladed jig, Rattletrap, HB Frog green back, white belly, Sprinkler Frog (white), swim bait, watermelon/red flake Senko, "cheeto" Senko, 8" Huddleston swim bait.

Posted By: Tom Dillon