Lots of fish marked, not many caught

May 01 2018

Jason Wyatt

Fry

Number of Posts :

Last Tuesday 2 guests and I fished Boatwright from roughly 7:30am-4 and while the fish finder showed a lot of fish suspended in the middle of the lake, we couldn't get them to bite to save our lives.  We did end up with 26 caught, 25 culled with the 26th being just slightly over 14 inches.  Only caught fish on soft plastics, dark red and green lizards and no real pattern we could discern, we caught fish all over the lake, even a very large panfish on a rattle trap he couldn't possibly fit into his mouth.  Nice day, very peaceful, clear water and enough fish to keep us entertained and were home by dinner. 

Posted By: Jason Wyatt

May 09 2018

Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Did you try senkos?

I fished that lake twice in mid March and senkos were the deal.  Probably had culled around 30 unders each time but probably had over 100 bites each day.  Lost count of what we caught but most were under.  Largest may have been 3.5 lbs.  The first trip was with my brother and was cloudy temps in low 70’s if I remember correctly.  Red shad senkos produced the best but they hit all sorts of other colors too. Most bits were extremely shallow near any sort of shoreline structure.  I had so much fun I decided to take my wife and 8 year old son a couple of days later.  The second trip was sunny clear skies.  Red senkos were no longer working, which was unfortunate since I hit every tackle store in east Texas buying all I could. But natural colors worked just fine.  Bama Bug, green pumpkin and Yum Dingers in Ozark Smoke color.  Fish were no longer on banks.  Bites came in deeper water.  Wacky rigged.  I got bites on a few other baits, but nothing produced like the senko style baits.  I meant to post a report on those trips, but I got tied up with work and forgot about it.  Not sure if the info would have helped either way, but next time I will remember.  It’s a fun lake and very peaceful.  If you looking to get kids hooked up or test new techniques where you know there will be a bunch of bites, this lake is this place.