Interesting day at Leinweber

Apr 29 2018

Andrew Dear

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fished the morning slot at Leinweber with Bill Fetech this morning. Started out slamming a bunch of cull fish with a white spinnerbait, and I believe Bill had a 3 Pounder on a topwater chugger. I took one about 3 pounds along the bushes by the dam, but all other fish boated were culls. Bite kind of slowed around 10am, and my son…who normally beats us all hadn't boated a fish at all.  About that time Jackson decided to try a brown/pumpkin Hula Grub style jig on a football jig head fished with a steady hopping retrieve like a swim-jig. On a single drift in about 20 casts he hooked and lost 3 fish over 5 pounds adjacent to the dead bushes along the dam. One I think was easily 7 plus as it headed for deep water, it rolled once and snapped the 17 pound leader. Several more drifts produced 6 or 8 fish in the 1-3 pound range, and then the wind picked up and bite turned off. We ended up culling 8 fish total and I believe Bill culled 1. Water was a tad off color from the recent rains, but overall the lake looked good, and it was an enjoyable day with good company. Thankful to have the two lakes on this ranch in the club….off to make fried fish Po-Boys with todays catch!

Andy Dear

Posted By: Andrew Dear

Apr 30 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I agree with Andy. I missed several on poppers, but landed a 3.8 along the bank opposite the launch point. It was probably in a foot of water. I tried banging a square bill of the standing timbers and had several hits and lost a good one as it wrapped around the tree. I tried Jackson’s hula grub and only caught one. Towards the time to depart I caught a 3# on a chatter bait and lost a couple. Weather was perfect and water temp was 71. 

Bill