Dingy Water and Scrappy Males

Mar 14 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I hit Yates Place yesterday and had very mixed rsults. No big girls at all, although I did have one hold on to a Senko without being hooked and still held on to it for almost a minute…VERY strong fish, but then opened her mouth and let go of it. Other that that one, I had two other good-sized fish on for just a couple of seconds. One hung me up and the other one jumped and threw the bait. I ended up boating and returning six, none over 2 pounds, and harvested a total of 16. I think tha all of them were males - some chunky, some thin. Released six and harvested 16. The water varied from 61.9 to 64.9 between 8:00 am and 6:00 p.m. The lake is still almost a foot high, flooding some grass, with about 12" of clarity. A couple of thiick grass mats were present, too. The dollar pads are starting to thicken up. I think that the males have started making beds (water too stained to see any), and attacked anything on it, while the females are holding in a little deeper water, just waiting for things to be "right" for their annual effort to reproduce.I tried, but caught nothing deeper than 3-4 feet. The spawn has always been about the toughest time of year for me go catch good fish. Anyway, I had a good time fishing, as well as a nice chat with Mr. Yates. Regrettably, he told me that he had to have Sassy put to down because of serious congestive heart failure. We'll miss that wonderful dog.

As always, the Yates were consummate hosts. I just hope I have another chance to fish this beautiful property before it sells.

What worked:

Weightless, wacky-rigged, black/blue flake Senko, watermelon/red flake T-rigged craw with 1/8 oz slip sinker, and 3/4 oz orange crawfish Rattletrap, large HB popping frog (orange/yellow belly), and an old (from the 70s), 1/4 oz Mister Twister Lunker Buzz II buzz bait with purple skirt, white chatterbait

What didn't:

T-rigged 6" black/red flake worm, C-rigged white fluke, Storm soft swim bait, small square bill crank, jig & pork, Sprinkler frog, single spin

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Mar 14 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for your report, Tom.  I always enjoy reading your detailed fishing reports.

A couple of questions for you.  When you fish the Senko wacky style, what brand and size of hook do you use?  Are you a fan of the O rings?  Do you use a weedless hook or find that the weed guard generally gets in the way?

Also, when you arrive at a PWF property, how many rod and reeds do you have rigged up and ready to go for the day?  I always get a kick out of seeing how many baits you use as you almost always tend to find one or more they will munch on.

Tight lines.

Mar 14 2018

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I'm going to put the over/under on that rod rigged up question at 10.

Mar 15 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

LOL, Pretty close, Danny  - that’s about my average. I only had 7 with me at Yates, and will have only 5-6 in the boat tomorrow and Saturday at the Harts Nd the Twins…but my partner will have 4 in the back!

Mar 15 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Murrie, I posted a long reply to you last night. Don’t know why it’s not posting. Am in fishing in Oklahoma until Sunday and will try again then. Sorry.

Sep 14 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Murrie, I apologize if I never answered your questions. I never use O-rings with a Senko - not even 2 of them crossed. I want my hook to be 90 degrees from the length of the Senko to get better hook penetration. I use several brands and styles of weedless Senko hooks, but have yet to find one that I really like. The ones with two separate wires seem to work for me better than the ones with a “loop” of wire or nylon that goes under the barb. The 2-wire-weedguard hooks come in larger sizes than the others, too.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Sep 14 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

No worries at all, Tom.  I do appreciate your response though.

Hope you catch a BUNCH this weekend in Oklahoma.  Are you noticing the shad and baitfish moving into shallow water and the creeks yet as part of the fall transition?  I am waiting for the bass in the PWF lakes to start putting on their fall "feeding bags."

Congrats again on winning the Big Bass contest earlier this year.

Sep 14 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Thank you, Murrie. The post about going to Oklahoma was in March. I haven't ben on the water for a couple of months because I've been caring for my wife before, during and since her knee replacement surgery. Am fishing Yates Place 21-22 September and Cody Ranch on 7 (Moonshine) and 8 (Twins) October. I surele do hope the shad are moving toward and/or into the creeks. I am READY!

Sep 14 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I usually have six rods rigged on the kayak. 

Bill