Great Morning...Slow Afternoon at Bennett, Feb. 15

Feb 16 2018

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

John Shepard and I arrived just before 8AM and were on the water at 8:15. 

Conditions: heavy overcast skies with good steady wind all day with skies clearing at 1:30PM. Water temps ranged from 56F by the dam and up to 60F at the shallow end by the beaver hut. Water clear with visibility to ~5ft. Healthy submerged weed growth still throughout lake, but manageable. Lake full! 

Most or the action occurred between 9AM and 1:30PM during the overcast portion of the day. 

Started the day trying the two main points and adjacent coves using an assortment of swimbaits, chatterbaits and various cranks and lipless cranks with very little action. Moved to the deeper portions of the tank (18-20ft) and the bite was on! The stout, prespawn bass only seemed interested in weighted wacky style plastic senko-style sticks. John reeled in 20 and I caught another 9 before the skies cleared. The bite was extremely subtle, but once on, they put up a strong fight! John caught the big girl (23 1/4") that weighed in at 7.75lbs. My largest was just over 18".

After stopping for lunch, we resumed fishing under clear skies and it was slow no matter where we fished and what lure we presented. Limited success on weighted wacky, dropshot and swimbait.

At the end of the day we boated 34 bass and culled 6 (only one dink ~8" was caught the rest were between 12-14”). Most of the bass caught were in the 16-19" range and we had zero encounters with the crappie or catfish.

Bob

Posted By: Robert Scheidemann

Feb 16 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great report, Bob.  

A friend of mine from East Texas and I plan to fish Bennett later this month and we are looking forward to it.

Congrats on the 7.75 pound bass.  Very nice!

Feb 17 2018

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks Murrie!

I forgot to mention in my report that John and I saw approximately 6 Bald Eagles during the morning portion of the session. Absolutely spectacular! the beaver den was also worth checking out (from a distance) in the shallow portion of the tank up by the lily pad stems!

Enjoy!

Feb 20 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Beautiful fish! I'm envious!