Nice Day But Slow At Black Hat

Dec 02 2017

Larry Jordan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Spent a pleasant afternoon at Black Hat with light wind and temps in the high 60's. Water temperature was around 58 all afternoon and the water was as clear as I've ever seen it at this lake, with visibility at least 3 ft.  I divided my tlime between targeting bass and throwing jigs and small crankbaits at the crappie. In spite of the recent reports on good crappie catches at Black Hat, I never found them. In fact, no bites on the brush piles for either species.  The five bass I caught all came on points, either in the main lake or around the islands. A hard-fighting 3.5 came on a roaddrunner jig while looking for crappie. Lots of fun on light tackle. The others were 3 lb., 2lb. and two around a lb. The aerator system was not working or was on a timer, with some of the hose above water.  It was a good day to enjoy the extension of fall- like weather in North Texas.

Posted By: Larry Jordan

Dec 05 2017

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I fished there couple weeks ago with a friend and caught only 2 crappie. I’ve always caught them there on brushpiles fishing with jigs on top of brushpiles. Some times have caught them on small crankbaits around brushpiles. My thought was I noticed water is lot clearer since we had the catfish tournament there. I was thinking maybe i was spooking them with the clear water was always pretty murky in the past when I’ve fished there