Lake Leinweber - Good new addition

Oct 22 2017

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

I was invited by Andy Dear and his son Jackson to fish Lake Leinweber,  the new property west of San Antonio.  We fished the morning of October 22nd.

First the new property.  There is an issue with the gate opener and the gate has a bungee cord  keeping it closed. We were both able to easily launch our boats from the location specified in the property description without any issues. Along the dam, there is a good line of small willow-like trees that runs for about 50 yards.  In the middle of the lake, there are two small groups of standing timbers and a couple of isolated timbers.  I found depths of 16ft in the middle of the lake. At the in-flow point, there are again several groups of the willow-like trees and a good group of stumps that were probably washed into the lake.

Now for the report:

I caught about 10 and culled 2 of those.  I did get a 3.7, 3.5, 3.2, and 3.1.  The rest were around 2#.  

Water was stained with no visibility. 

Water temp: 70

Air temp: 70-80

Sky: overcast (pre-frontal) with a steady wind

Most of my fish were caught using either a shallow diving square-billed crank bait or a mid-diving crank with a chartuese/black pattern.  All were caught about 10-20 yards off the east back and between 20-40 yards from the dam using a steady retrieve. They appeared to be suspending around 5ft with water depth around 10ft.

I did unsuccessfully try the following:

- buzz bait

- ribbit frog

- wieght-less senko

- rattle-trap

- different colors of the lures I was successful with (sexy shad, red/black)

I also did not have any success around the standing timbers.

This place is a nice addition to the other 4 properties in the San Antonio area and I really appreciate the efforts of PWF to increase the number of properties in this area. Both Andy and I will be back in the spring after it re-opens due to hunting.

Bill Fetech

Posted By: William Fetech

Oct 26 2017

Andrew Dear

Fry

Number of Posts :

Agree with Bill….this is another winner just minutes away from Escondido (same owners I believe). Its a little more off the beaten path without the same amenities as Escondido, but a GREAT place none the less. Per Bill's observation, launching was easy on the far end of the dam. Not quite the same amount or diversity of visible cover as Escondido, but certainly enough to make things interesting. I only had two fish, one of which was 3lbs on the nose. My son Jackson had I think 7 with most between 1-2.5lbs. Had a couple of blowups early on scum frog, but couldn't stick them…nothing on spinnerbait or hula grub. Jackson took all of his on shallow running square bills, and unweighted senkos rigged Texas Style on the northeast shoreline. He figured this pattern out twitching the worm right underneath the surface and the subsequent strikes were loud and vicious. Honestly I think we lost as many fish as we landed. All in all great lake with great company as the rivalry continues between Bill and Jackson…..really looking forward to February and getting a little more time on this piece of water.

Andy

Oct 26 2017

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bill,

​Thank you for a great report on Dunlay - Lake Leinweber. This lake has not had very many reservations yet, so almost zero fishing pressure has been experienced at this lake. Really glad to hear that y'all caught some quality bass. 

​Thank you,

Cole PWF