Raining at Fox Lake

Sep 27 2017

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I fished Fox lake for the first time today.  It was rainy much of the day with a high in the upper 70s.  Slight breeze, but mostly really good fishing weather. There was quite a bit of mud to deal with, and you might want to bring an oar. Two gates to open and shut, and an easy property to find and navigate.  The lake is down a couple of feet, but you can see how it increases in size quite a bit when it's full.

I caught 51 fish total, with 32 under 14" and culled. Biggest two fish were 3lb 7oz and 3lb 0 oz.  I used 8lb mono and tossed mainly wacky Senko's, small tube worms, lizards and grubtails.  Did best with the Senko's and lizards, but caught fish on everything, including buzz bait and rattle trap.  The bass were often fairly deep, but not always.  The soft plastic bite was very light, and the bite overall was pretty good until it started raining steadily in the afternoon, and then it pretty much shut down.

Posted By: Eric Carr

Sep 28 2017

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Eric, 

Thanks for the report. When we electrofished the lake we shocked several fish over 5 lbs including a 9+. 

Were you able to harvest some of the smaller bass?

Oct 13 2017

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve -

Yes, harvested around 30.  It's good to know there are some bigger fish waiting to be caught.  Thanks!

Oct 14 2017

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Eric

Did you use the on site boat or your own? How difficult will it be to launch a trailered boat at the lake?

Thank you,

Steve

Nov 03 2017

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Steve - Just returned from fishing Fox again today, and I thought about your question.  Last time I used the on-site boat, but today we used our 10' Pelican.  I personally would not try to launch a boat from a trailer there.  The bank is very muddy still, just like my last trip, even though the lake is down about a foot or so since my last trip.  Go figure!